Homemade green bean casserole is an amazing take on the classic recipe! Packed with flavor but easy to make with minimal dishes.
Homemade green bean casserole is a traditional dish served at many holiday gatherings across America and other parts of the world. While many people may make green bean casserole with canned green beans, I’m going to introduce you to a fresh green bean casserole that puts a delicious twist on a somewhat unsightly dish.
While canned green beans can give you a soft texture and easy/quick casserole that many may be looking for, having a green bean casserole with fresh green beans can be a real game-changer. This isn’t your grandma’s casserole!
Making a green bean casserole from scratch is well worth the few extra steps, and the extra ingredients- AMAZING! With this recipe, you can turn a simple homestyle casserole into a delicious, fancy, flavorful work of art.
How to make this fresh green bean casserole
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prep your green beans
- Bring a saucepan full of water to a simmer and place the green beans inside for 3-4 minutes until they are bright green.
- Remove, drain, and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt your butter and whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, and sage. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk and whisk until combined.
- Simmer until it’s thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Add in your chopped green beans and stir to combine.
- Pour into a greased casserole pan
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter with panko and shallot.
- Sprinkle the mix over your green beans and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top of golden brown and the sides are bubbly.
- How long will green bean casserole last in the fridge?
After making your fresh green bean casserole, you can expect it to last up to 5 days in the fridge if properly stored in an airtight container.
You can reheat the casserole to eat by placing foil over the casserole pan and baking it at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
Can I mix up green bean casserole the night before?
You can save yourself a lot of time by making this dish ahead of time and keeping it in the fridge. Simply mix everything together and cover the top of your casserole pan. Before dinner, bake it until it’s fully heated and you’re good to go!
Homemade Green Bean Casserole
For the Green Beans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 pounds green beans
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
For the Breadcrumb Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup shallot chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
For the Green Beans
- Trim the tops and bottoms off of the green beans.
- Cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Pour 3 cups water into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the green beans and simmer for 3-4 minutes, until they are bright green. Remove and set aside.
- Discard water from the pan.
For the Casserole
- In the same large sauce pan, melt butter. Add the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, and sage. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk until combined.
- Simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add chopped green beans and stir until combined.
For the Topping
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and stir in the panko and shallot.
- Sprinkle over the top of the green beans.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the sides are bubbly.
Looking for more amazing recipes??
- Pork Chop Marinade
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Beef Enchilada Recipe
- Homemade Brownies
- Homemade Lasagna
- Crinkle Cookies
- Tuscan Chicken
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Corn Recipes
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Roast Beef Recipe
- Homemade Chili
- BBQ Chicken in the Oven
- Easy Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs
Easy and delicious and homemade!