Learning how to make roast beef is easy and makes a delicious meal for any day of the week. Make it in the slow cooker or oven for a hands-free dinner!
One of my favorite dinners to make for my family is roast beef. It’s so easy and this is for sure the best roast beef recipe because it’s so simple. I love using my slow cooker for this recipe as well, it takes almost all of the work out of it!
I use a little bit different seasonings every time I make this. The great thing about making pot roast is that you can switch it up each time! There are no hard and fast rules.
The kind of roast you use is going to matter. Chuck roast works best for perfect pot roast, but I also use sirloin tip roasts frequently because we have a bunch in our freezer. Either will work well for this recipe because they hold up to a long cooking time and get more tender the longer they cook.
When you’re choosing a roast to use in this roast beef recipe, choose one that is about 4 pounds and that has good marbling. Marbling means there are a lot of white flecks of fat throughout the meat.
This will give you a really tender roast beef that will just fall apart by the time it’s done. You can see I sliced mine for the photos, but it’s so tender you can easily cut it with a fork.
How to Make Roast Beef
There are just a few simple steps you’ll need to follow to end up with the perfect roast beef. Here they are!
- Use a slow cooker or slow cook the roast in the oven.
- Sear the roast on all sides, it’s worth the extra work!
- Lay the roast on top of the vegetables, like a bed.
- Don’t add too much water all at once. you want to be able to make a nice gravy from the drippings
- Save some of the liquid in the slow cooker to drizzle over the roast beef just before serving.
Roast Beef Seasoning
Roast beef is easy to season. It can handle some stronger flavors so I like to keep the flavors simple yet strong. Here are a few of my favorite combinations.
- Rosemary, thyme, and basil.
- Sage, thyme, red pepper flakes.
- Bay leaf, oregano, and rosemary.
Roast Beef Recipe for the Oven
If you’d like to make this perfect roast beef recipe in the oven, you’ll need a large dutch oven that can fit the roast in flat. Simply layer the vegetables and then roast as you would in the slow cooker.
Slow roast in the oven at 275ºF for 3-5 hours, depending on the size of the roast. You will know it’s done when the meat is falling apart, just like it would in the slow cooker.
How to Make Roast Beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pound beef roast chuck or sirloin, 3-5 pounds works for this recipe
- 3 carrots rough chopped
- 3 stalks celery rough chopped
- 3 onions quartered
- 2 tomatoes quartered
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teasopon pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- In a skillet or roasting pan, heat olive oil on high. Sear all sides or pot roast, set aside.
- Wash and chop vegetables. Place them in the bottom of slow cooker or roasting pot.
- Pour beef broth in the bottom of the slow cooker or pot.
- Place seared roast on top of the vegetables.
- Combine all seasonings and sprinkle over the roast.
- Slow cook for about 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low. Alternatively, slow roast in the oven on 275ºF for about 4 hours, depending on the size of the roast.
- The roast is done when it falls apart easily.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- The Best Prime Rib Recipe
- Green Bean Recipe
- Marinara Sauce
- Enchilada Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Potato Soup Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- How to Make Meatloaf
- Easy Chili Recipe
- Cheap Dinner Ideas
- Granola Recipe
- Homemade Bread