This homemade meatloaf recipe is a comfort food classic with an Italian twist on the classic. Never dry and perfectly seasoned, it’s a hit every time.
This homemade meatloaf recipe is one of those recipes that takes me right back to my childhood. My mother and grandmother both made a recipe similar to this growing up and I love the memories it brings back when I make it.
My meatloaf recipe doesn’t use ketchup, not because it’s evil or I don’t like ketchup, just because I don’t love it with meatloaf! This meatloaf recipe takes more of an Italian flavor and I think you and your family will love it as much as we do.
If your family likes green beans, you can sprinkle about 1 cup of fresh or frozen green beans around the outside of the meatloaf and just bake them right in the sauce. This is how my mother made it and they turn out so great! An easy way to incorporate a veggie side. 🙂
How to Make Homemade Meatloaf
Another reason I love making meatloaf this way is because of how moist it keeps the meatloaf. I really hate a dry meatloaf and with all the sauce in the pan, this one turns out nice and juicy every time.
- Making meatloaf can seem intimidating but it’s really easy! Here is how to do it.
- Mix meatloaf ingredients together really well. This is key for a smooth texture!
- Broil the meatloaf. This makes sure it stays together and has a nice crust under the sauce.
- Bake the meatloaf with half the sauce, then add the rest halfway through the cooking time. This lets the meatloaf cook through without getting too soggy or too dry.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- Green Bean Recipe
- Marinara Sauce
- Enchilada Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Potato Soup Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- Prime Rib Recipes
- Easy Chili Recipe
- Cheap Dinner Ideas
- Granola Recipe
- Homemade Bread
Homemade Meatloaf Recipe
For the Meatloaf
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion shredded
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley dried
- 2 teaspoons basil dried
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup milk
For the Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Combine all the meatloaf ingredients until very well combined. It will seem like there is too much milk, but the breadcrumbs will soak it up as you mix the meatloaf together.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the meatloaf mixture into the pan and shape into an oval that is about 3-4 inches thick.
- Broil on high for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Pour half the sauce over the meatloaf.
- Bake meatloaf for 15 minutes and pour over the rest of the sauce.
- Bake for 15 more minutes or until the inside registers 165ºF on an instant thermometer.