Oven roasted carrots are an amazing recipe perfect for any occasion. It doesn’t matter if it’s a holiday feast or a weeknight meal, carrots are there for you, and with this simple oven-roasted carrots recipe, you can be there for them too.
Brown sugar carrots are tasty and wonderful. The naturally sweetened flavor from the cooked carrots mixed with the sweet and caramelized flavors you get from the brown sugar is like a perfect duo working together for the perfect bite. Add in the seasonings and herbs and you have yourself a side dish that’s truly a star.
Serve your oven roasted brown sugar carrots for Easter dinner, Christmas or Thanksgiving too. Serve them on a Sunday night or right after you pull a fresh batch of carrots from the garden. Any occasion is the perfect occasion and these carrots pair great with anything.
I enjoy serving our brown sugar roasted carrots with large meat items such as a whole roasted chicken, cooked ham, or even a turkey, but the sky’s the limit here. Serve them up as a side to any meal and you’ll still have everyone eagerly reaching for them to get on their plates and in their bellies.
What’s super great about this recipe is that you can use both larger carrots or baby carrots and they still turn out incredible. This means you can use whatever is on sale, on hand, or most convenient. Doesn’t that just sound awesome?
Roasted carrots ingredients
- Carrots: you will need about 1 pound of carrots. This is either large carrots that have been cut into coins or baby carrots left whole.
- Olive oil: This is a great ingredient because it helps to distribute flavors from sugar and seasonings around the carrots and to get them to turn a nice crisp texture too.
- Seasonings: you will need a combination of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to flavor the carrots and keep the spices simple. You most likely have these on hand already too.
- Brown sugar: while this is optional, the caramelization from the brown sugar will make the carrots wonderful in flavor thanks to the molasses.
- Thyme: If desired, you can sprinkle some fresh thyme over the top of your cooked carrots. This helps to give a nice earthy flavor to the dish and really helps to elevate it into something extra incredible.
How to make oven roasted carrots
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for an easier cleanup.
- Slice large carrots into ½ inch thick pieces that are about 3-4 inches long or leave baby carrots whole depending on what you choose to use.
- Place the carrots on the lined baking sheet.
- Pour your olive oil, spices, and brown sugar over the top of the carrots and then gently toss to coat so that they are all well-covered.
- Spread the coated carrots out into an even layer.
- Place the baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven and bake the carrots for about 25 minutes, tossing them halfway through the cooking to redistribute the spices and sugar.
- Cook until the carrots are tender and slightly browned.
- Sprinkle some fresh thyme over the top of the carrots.
Roasted Carrots FAQs
You can keep the leftovers from this recipe stored in an airtight container or zipper topped baggie in the fridge for 3-5 days. Just reheat before eating.
To reheat your leftover carrots simply place them on a baking sheet in the oven at 450 degrees F after tossing in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Bake for about 5 minutes until they have been warmed through.
While you certainly can freeze the carrots if you wish, they won’t turn out the same. You can freeze your carrots in an airtight container for up to 9 months and reheat them when desired. Keep in mind that the cooked carrots will change in texture and will not be the same crisp carrots that went into the freezer. Instead, they will be mushier and softer. The taste will still be good though and the carrots can do well if repurposed into a baked or cooked dish where softer carrots are used such as soups or casseroles.
Oven Roasted Carrots
- 1 pound carrots washed, see note
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves optional.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice carrots about 1/2 inch thick and 3-4 inches long.
- Place on lined baking sheet (see note).
- Pour olive oil, spices, and brown sugar over the carrots.
- Toss to coat evenly and spread carrots into a single layer.
- Bake on the middle rack in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes, tossing halfway, or until the carrots are tender and slightly browned.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.
Looking for more great recipes and ideas?
- What is Brine
- How to Cut an Onion
- Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- How to Make Candy
- How to Make Nachos with Ground Beef
- St. Louis Ribs Crock Pot
- Herb Bread
- PVC Pipe Chicken Feeder
- Pecan Crescent Cookies
- Green Bean Seasoning
- Butterbeer Ingredients
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- How Do I Make Hummingbird Food
- How to Tell if Steak is Done
- Baked Barbeque Chicken Thighs
- Beef Stroganoff from Scratch
- How to Trim Asparagus
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- How Long to Smoke Beef Ribs