This easy potato soup recipe is absolutely delicious. It’s easy and quick to put together and definitely a meal the whole family will love!
There is nothing I love more than a warm meal on a cold night and this easy potato soup is perfect when you need some comfort food. It’s simple to throw together and I’ll even give you some slow cooker instructions so you can easily make it anytime!
What potatoes should I use for easy potato soup?
The texture of this simple potato soup greatly depends on what kind of potatoes you use. Russet potatoes will have a more fluffy texture, while red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes will have a creamier texture.
I love it both ways, so use whatever you have on hand. I also like to thin mine down quite a bit – it can get pretty thick! Keep some extra milk on hand to get it to your favorite texture and consistency. Either way, this turns out to be a really creamy potato soup recipe.
Can I freeze this easy potato soup?
Yes! A definite resounding yes. This potato soup is one of my favorite recipes to freeze – and you should all know by now that I love my freezer.
When I freeze this potato soup I still make it according to the recipe, but I don’t add the chopped bacon because it gets squishy. This soup definitely qualifies as a potato bacon soup so don’t skip adding it or cooking with the grease, those steps add great flavor. I usually save the bacon and use it in another recipe and then make fresh bacon to serve with the frozen soup.
When serving this easy potato soup after freezing, you may need to adjust the consistency a little bit with water, broth, or milk. Use whatever you prefer to get it to your desired consistency.
As always, my favorite way to freeze soup is to portion it into plastic zipper bags and lay them flat on a cookie sheet until they are frozen, then I stack them upright in my freezer. You can also use disposable soup containers that stack and those are super handy as well!
Can I make this easy potato soup in my slow cooker or crockpot?
Absolutely! I make this in the slow cooker all the time. There are a few different ways you could approach making it in the slow cooker:
- Skip the saute steps and simply add the veggies, potatoes, seasonings, and broth to the slow cooker. Cook on low up to 8 hours and high up to 4 hours or until the potatoes are tender. Blend and add the remaining ingredients. Cook an additional 30 minutes.
- OR: Do the saute steps in a skillet, combine the sauteed veggies with the potatoes, seasonings and broth in the slow cooker and then continue as described above.
- OR: If you have an Instant Pot, follow the recipe as written except instead of simmering, slow cook as described in the first bullet point. I haven’t tried the pressure cook setting on this recipe yet but will update when I do!
Easy Potato Soup
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 6 potatoes rough chop, russet, red or gold, medium sized
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cup whole milk or half and half, divided
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons hot sauce optional
- 2 tablespoons chives fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- In a large dutch oven, cook strips of bacon until crispy. Remove from pan.
- Cook the carrots, onion, and celery in bacon grease until the onions are translucent.
- Add potatoes, salts, and pepper. Mix well, and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the potatoes are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup, if desired. I do this with an immersion blender but you can also transfer the soup to a blender. Be VERY careful when doing this, as hot liquids will expand. Never fill the blender over halfway with hot soup.
- Add the hot sauce and milk. Add the milk gradually until the soup is as thick or thin as you prefer. You may not need to use all of it.
- Add the chives and parsley and adjust seasonings or consistency, if needed.
- I like to serve with sour cream, cheese, and then crumble the bacon on top.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Green Bean Recipe
- Prime Rib Recipe
- Marinara Sauce
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Biscuits
- How to Make Meatloaf
- Easy Chili Recipe
- Homemade Bread
- Chicken and Noodles
- Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- Poppy Seed Chicken
- Homemade Lasagna
- Tuscan Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Best Baked Potato