Slow roasted prime rib is perfect for a special occasion. Butter, citrus, and herbs pair to make it amazingly flavorful and delicious.
Prime rib is one of those fancy dinners that you don’t see happening every week. It is a more pricey cut but totally worth it for a special occasion. It goes great with other amazing side dishes such as oven-roasted asparagus with lemon and garlic.
Like any roast, a good one required a long slow cooking process, which can be seen as good news or bad news. The good news is that you have very little hands-on effort and have hours to gather necessary ingredients for side dishes.
The bad news is that you have to smell the delicious slow-roasted prime rib in your oven and ether suffer the hungry tummy grumbles or find small snacks to please to keep your hunger in check.
What’s great about this prime rib recipe is that the flavors in the prime rib rub are a combination of all things good in life: Citrus, garlic, salt, and herbs all joining forces to create an award-winning prime rib recipe.
How to make this slow-roasted prime rib recipe
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine your butter, ginger, orange zest, garlic, salt, pepper, soy sauce, brown sugar, and rosemary.
- Spread this butter rub all over your prime rib.
- Place your meat on a roasting rack inside a roasting pan, or if you don’t have one, you can simply ball up 3 pieces of aluminum foil and DIY one in a tall sided pan.
- Add water to the bottom of your roasting pan and cook at 450 for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue to cook until the roast is medium rare (130-135 degrees) which should take about 1.5 hours. The size of your prime rib roast may cause this time estimate to vary.
- After about an hour, check the water in the roasting pan and the temperature of the prime rib roast, adding more water if necessary.
- Remove the prime rib roast from the oven and let it sit and rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving. This helps to hold in the juices (which also makes for a less messy cutting board).
- Cut and remove the strings, slice the prime rib, or remove the bottom bones if you want to serve thinner slices.
What cut of meat is the prime rib?
A prime rib roast is cut from the upper back section of the steer and usually contains a few rib bones. Your local grocery store or butcher may also have the meat labeled as beef bone-in rib roast as the word “prime” is simply a grade given by the USDA.
It’s ultra-tender, which is why it is usually expensive. This makes it perfect for a slow roast until it’s medium-rare (135ºF).
Slow Roasted Prime Rib Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon rosemary minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 pound prime rib roast about 3-4 ribs
- 3 cups water
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Combine butter, ginger, orange zest, garlic, salt, pepper, soy sauce, brown sugar, and rosemary.
- Spread butter rub over the prime rib and place on a roasting rack in a roasting pan (see note).
- Add water to the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Roast at 450ºF for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325º F and continue to roast until medium-rare (130-135ºF), about 1.5 hours. Check the water in the roasting pan and the temperature of the prime rib roast after about 1-hour, adding more water if necessary.
- Remove the prime rib roast from the oven and let it rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Cut and remove the strings and slice the prime rib, or remove the bottom bones (they will just slide off) if you want to serve thinner slices.
Looking for more great recipes??
- The Best Prime Rib Recipe
- Smoked Beef Ribs
- Smoked Prime Rib
- Pressure Cooker Beef Stew
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Garlic + Herb Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Beef Enchilada Recipe
- How to Make Roast Beef
- Ground Beef Breakfast Burritos
- Easy Stuffed Peppers
- Canned Corn
- Green Bean Recipe
- Homemade Bread Recipe