This easy granola recipe is a family favorite!! Crunchy, sweet, and a little spicy, it’s the perfect breakfast. You’ll get asked for the recipe every time!
Easy Granola Recipe
If you haven’t tried making your own granola yet, you’re in luck. This easy homemade granola is great!
It can also be beneficial to your budget because it is much cheaper to make your own granola than it is to buy it premade and in the store. Not only that, but you can choose how you want to change it up. Add in your favorite additions or remove things you may not like.
This easy granola recipe uses honey and brown sugar as a binder to keep the granola crunchy and in decent-sized chunks.
What is Granola?
Granola is baked oats and nuts. Different granola recipes might include other dry ingredients, and most include a sweet element in the wet ingredients that gets mixed into the oats.
Muesli vs Granola
While granola and muesli have a lot of similarities with ingredients, there is one main difference. Muesli is served raw and granola is baked.
Homemade Granola Ingredients
- Shredded coconut
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Dried cranberries
Crunchy Granola Substitutions and Additions
Granola can be customized to your preferences. You can substitute out any of the nuts for your favorites, or the dried cranberries for any dried fruit, like dried cherries. Keep in mind that the flavor profile of this granola is sweetly spiced, so pick complimentary flavors. The coconut isn’t a strong flavor in the granola, so even if you’re not a huge fan give it a try.
How to make this Easy Homemade Granola
- In a large bowl, mix oats, pecans, almonds, and shredded coconut. Add in the salt and the cinnamon and mix well.
- In a small saucepan melt together butter, honey, and the brown sugar until it is well dissolved. Remove it from the heat and add in the vanilla extract and the almond extract, stirring to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture over your mixed nuts and oats and mix it until everything is evenly coated. Transfer the granola mixture to a lined cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Remembering to flip and stir the granola every 15 minutes so nothing burns and everything can cook evenly.
- When the granola is done baking and comes out of the oven, you can add in dried fruits like cranberries.
Storing Crunchy Granola
How long does Homemade Granola last?
Granola from the store often has a shelf life of about 6 months. While homemade granola may not last as long as that, it does have a long shelf life compared to other homemade foods. When properly stored in an airtight container, you can get your easy homemade granola to last up to a few weeks!
Of course, that is completely dependent upon whether or not it even lasts that long!
Should this Simple Granola Recipe be refrigerated?
A good question you might ask is whether or not your crunchy granola should be placed in the fridge or the pantry for best storage solutions. While your granola is perfectly safe inside an airtight container in your pantry, you can choose to freeze it for even longer storage solutions.
How do you store granola so it stays crunchy?
Store the completely cooled granola in an airtight container at room temperature.
How to eat Granola
Just in case you need some extra ideas on how to enjoy your crunchy granola here are a few friendly suggestions.
- In a bowl with milk
- With yogurt
- In a parfait
- Over the top of an ice cream sundae
- With sliced apples and peanut butter
- In homemade trail mix
- Exactly as is- because it’s delicious!
Homemade Granola Recipe FAQs
While oats do not contain gluten, verify they haven’t been processed or packaged in a place that also packages and processes food with gluten-containing ingredients. Everything else in the recipe is gluten free.
No, the granola will not be crunchy when you take it out of the oven. As it cools, it will become crunchy.
Granola will stick together as it cools. Let it cool completely on the sheet pan and if it is cooked through, you’ll need to break it apart.
Looking for more great breakfast recipes???
- Easy Homemade Bread Recipe
- Homemade Biscuit Recipe
- Blackberry Syrup Recipe
- How to Make Fluffy Scrambled Eggs
- How to Make Over Easy Eggs
- Homemade Butter Syrup Recipe
- Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- Blueberry Syrup Recipe
- Sheet Pan Eggs
- Breakfast Hash Recipe
- Breakfast Egg Cups
- Sticky Buns Recipe
- Homemade Pancake Mix Recipe
- Instant Pot Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal
Simple Granola Recipe
- 3 cups oats
- 2/3 cup pecans chopped
- 2/3 cup almonds chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Combine oats, nuts, coconut, and salt and cinnamon.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, honey and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Off heat, add the extracts.
- Pour over oat mixture and mix until everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer to a lined cookie tray and bake for 40 minutes, lightly stirring and flipping every 10-15 minutes.
- Add cranberries after it comes out of the oven while it’s still hot. Let cool and break into desired sizes.