Get the best brownie recipe from scratch! Chewy in the middle, crinkly tops, and perfect chocolatey flavor. Easy homemade brownies that hit every mark!
Chewy From Scratch Brownies
When I say these are the best brownies in the world, I’m not even exaggerating. When I say that I’ve tested over 25 variations of brownie recipes, I’m not even exaggerating.
My mission to find the best brownie recipe in the world was a serious one that started even before I started this blog! I know that sounds a little crazy and obsessive…and it is. Ha! But I’m just really into perfect chewy homemade brownies with a crinkly top.
How to Make Brownies from Scratch
- There are a few keys to making these easy homemade brownies. All of them combine to make the centers chewy and the tops ultra crinkly.
- Mixing up the brownies is super easy. I melt the chocolate chips in a large bowl and add the rest of the sugar and wet ingredients, eggs last, to give the chocolate time to cool off. After that, simply mix in the dry ingredients!
- Unlike a quick bread or cake, you actually do want to mix this batter pretty well. I mix it for about 1 minute until there aren’t any lumps left and it’s smooth and glossy.
- I baked these in a 9×13 pan and they are about 1 inch thick. If you’d like thicker brownies, you can bake them in a 8×8 pan but you will need to adjust the cooking time to be a little longer since the brownies will be thicker.
Best Brownie from Scratch Recipe tips
- Using oil instead of butter keeps the center of the brownies chewy and fudgy.
- The eggs help the brownies stay moist but give the top it’s nice crackle.
- Adding melted chocolate to the batter also contributes to the chewy center of the brownies.
- The baking powder and eggs also contribute to the crinkly top by encouraging the brownies to rise and then fall.
I hope you love this brownie recipe from scratch as much as I have. It’s so perfect and easy I want to make it every single day! Just kidding. Kind of.
Looking for more homemade chocolatey desserts like these easy homemade brownies?
- Homemade Brownie Cookies
- Basic Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Chewy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Homemade Chocolate Fudge Recipe
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Best Brownie from Scratch Recipe
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs large
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt chocolate chips in a large bowl. This is most easily done in the microwave by heating in 30-second intervals, mixing between each interval until the chocolate chips are almost all melted, stirring to melt the remaining chips.
- Add sugar, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined and the batter is smooth.
- Pour into a greased or lined 9×13 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. If you like more fudgy brownies, remove them from the oven when a toothpick comes out almost clean. If you like chewy brownies, remove them from the oven when the toothpick comes out clean.