Get the best brownie recipe from scratch! Chewy in the middle, crinkly tops, and perfect chocolatey flavor. Easy homemade brownies that hit every mark!
When I say these are the best brownies in the world, I’m not even exaggerating. When I say that I’ve tested over 25 variations of brownie recipes, I’m not even exaggerating.
My mission to find the best brownie recipe in the world was a serious one that started even before I started this blog! I know that sounds a little crazy and obsessive…and it is. Ha! But I’m just really into perfect chewy homemade brownies with a crinkly top.
How to Make Brownies from Scratch
There are a few keys to making these easy homemade brownies. All of them combine to make the centers chewy and the tops ultra crinkly.
- Using oil instead of butter keeps the center of the brownies chewy and fudgy.
- The eggs help the brownies stay moist but give the top it’s nice crackle.
- Adding melted chocolate to the batter also contributes to the chewy center of the brownies.
- The baking powder and eggs also contribute to the crinkly top by encouraging the brownies to rise and then fall.
Mixing up the brownies is super easy. I melt the chocolate chips in a large bowl and add the rest of the sugar and wet ingredients, eggs last, to give the chocolate time to cool off. After that, simply mix in the dry ingredients!
Unlike a quick bread or cake, you actually do want to mix this batter pretty well. I mix it for about 1 minute until there aren’t any lumps left and it’s smooth and glossy.
I baked these in a 9×13 pan and they are about 1 inch thick. If you’d like thicker brownies, you can bake them in a 8×8 pan but you will need to adjust the cooking time to be a little longer since the brownies will be thicker.
I hope you love this brownie recipe from scratch as much as I have. It’s so perfect and easy I want to make it every single day! Just kidding. Kind of.
Looking for more homemade chocolatey desserts like these easy homemade brownies?
- Homemade Brownie Cookies
- Basic Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Chewy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Homemade Chocolate Fudge Recipe
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
[mv_create key=”39″ type=”diy” title=”Baking Brownies”]
The Best Brownie Recipe from Scratch
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs large
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt chocolate chips in a large bowl. This is most easily done in the microwave by heating in 30-second intervals, mixing between each interval until the chocolate chips are almost all melted, stirring to melt the remaining chips.
- Add sugar, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined and the batter is smooth.
- Pour into a greased or lined 9x13 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. If you like more fudgy brownies, remove them from the oven when a toothpick comes out almost clean. If you like chewy brownies, remove them from the oven when the toothpick comes out clean.
Jenna Taylor says
So easy to make. So yummy. Just wish I had vanilla ice cream to go with! I baked in a 8×8 dish and they are huge!! They are as deep as the pan, so if you like some mamma jamma sized brownies. Do that. I also baked for 60 min since they are so thick and they came out melt in your mouth chewy.
So glad you liked them, Jenna!
These are the most delicious brownies I’ve ever made and I’ve made a lot of great ones! They are the perfect blend of fudgey and chewy and the flavor is perfect. I love the crispy part on top. I’ve never been able to get that with my other recipes. Thanks so much Alli. These are now our favorites.
So glad you liked them, Sara!!
Chewy and perfect!