Homemade tomato soup is easy to throw together and is ready in 30 minutes. Use canned or fresh tomatoes, the flavor is perfect either way.
I love a good tomato soup and this one is by far my favorite! I always have a freezer full of fresh tomatoes from my garden and this tomato soup from scratch recipe is such a perfect way to use them up.
Actually, almost everything in this homemade tomato basil soup was stored from my garden. Even the dried basil! It’s such a fresh and delicious recipe, it can bring a little sunshine into your life even on a stormy winter day.
And, because evidently, I am still 10 years old at heart, I love serving this with some grilled cheese.
If you aren’t feeling 10 years old, you can serve it with some delicious croutons. I love the crunch and texture they add to the homemade tomato soup.
I prefer to blend this soup a little bit with my immersion blender. You can leave it chunky, or blend it with a blender.
If you use a blender DO NOT fill the blender over halfway full! Hot liquids expand and it can be dangerous to blend them if you aren’t careful.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Marinara Sauce
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Homemade Biscuits
- Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Pork Chop Marinade
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Homemade Brownies
- Easy Chili Recipe
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Homemade Bread
- Chicken and Noodles
- Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- Poppy Seed Chicken
- Tuscan Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups tomatoes rough chop
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot, heat olive oil until shimmering.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the basil and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and simmer until almost completely reduced.
- Add tomatoes, broth, carrots, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Simmer until the carrots are soft and the tomatoes are falling apart about 20 minutes.
- Blend until smooth with an immersion blender or in a blender. Be careful, hot liquids expand!!
- Drizzle cream into the soup and stir until combined.
- Serve with croutons and chopped fresh basil.