Slow cooker chicken pot pie is the perfect meal for a busy day! Comfort food made easy, it’s packed with flavor and sure to be an instant family favorite.
Chicken pot pie is one of our favorite fall and winter comfort foods, but making it from scratch can be time-consuming. I transformed my regular version into a flavor-packed crockpot version, I can’t wait for you to try out my slow cooker chicken pot pie!
This recipe actually cooks in two stages. Stage one is the filling mixture – easy and straightforward. Second is the biscuit mixture – also easy and straightforward! Let’s dive in and I’ll show you exactly what to do.
First off, I like to use chicken thighs in the crockpot because I think they stay more moist. If you prefer to use chicken breasts, don’t hesitate to sub them out! I usually sub two chicken thighs for 1 chicken breast.
I like to always put the veggies in the bottom of the crockpot. It provides a nice bed for the chicken to rest on and ensures it doesn’t get burned or overcooked. Is there anything more beautiful than chopped veggies??
Now, I know this picture looks a little gross but it’s just chicken coated in the flour. I lay the chicken in the crockpot, sprinkle the flour over the top, and then move everything around a little to make sure it’s all evenly coated.
Next is the broth. I loooooove homemade chicken broth but I also don’t always have time to make it – so use whatever you have. But isn’t using homemade so satisfying?
Add all of the broth to the crockpot and don’t worry about mixing anything. The magic will happen on its own!
If you have fresh thyme and sage, now is the time to add it! If not, just use dried and it will still be amazing.
After it’s cooked for about 6 hours, it will look like this! At this point, you will shred the chicken and add the peas before making your biscuit topping. And if you are like me and forget to add the peas, you can just gently lift up the biscuits and add them.
Hi, my name is Alli and I’m a food blogger.
Next is the biscuit dough and it is such a simple recipe. It takes no time at all to throw together AND you can make it ahead when you prep all the other ingredients for the recipe so all you have to do is flatten it and place it on top of the filling.
The one secret to this dough is to melt the butter and then add cold milk to it. This solidifies the butter into tiny shards, like in the picture above, and makes the biscuits tender and flakey without cutting in cold butter. I can thank America’s Test Kitchen for that amazing tip!
After the dough is mixed, simply divide it up evenly on top of the filling. You’ll want to flatten and slightly shape it before adding it. I like to fill in all the gaps with small pieces. If your filling seems very liquidy, it’s ok!! The biscuits will soak up some of the moisture as well as the shredded meat.
Now, if you’re like me and just love to see that brown on top, run it under the broiler for about 10 minutes but that it definitely optional 🙂 .
How delicious and easy was that slow cooker chicken pot pie?? Try it and let me know what you think!!
PIN this recipe on your Crock Pot Recipes board to SAVE it for later Follow Longbourn Farm on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas, and recipes!
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
For the Filling
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 chicken thighs boneless, skinless or chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 4 sprigs fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried Sage or 3 leaves fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 2 teaspoons fresh
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
For the Biscuits
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk cold
- 4 tablespoons butter melted but warm
For the Pot Pie
- Place the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Place chicken over the vegetables.
- Combine the herbs (if using dried), seasonings and 1/4 cup of flour.
- Sprinkle over the chicken, turning it a few times to evenly distribute the flour.
- Add the chicken broth and bullion cube.
- Cook for about 2 hours on high OR about 6 hours on low.
- Shred chicken and add peas, and fresh herbs (if using) stir to combine.
- Make and bake biscuits as follows.
For the Biscuits
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Immediately after butter is melted, add the cold milk. Mix until small shards of butter are visible.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, starting with 1 1/2 cups flour and adding more flour as needed. The dough should be slightly wet but you should be able to handle it with floured hands.
- Working with a few tablespoons of dough at a time, roll gently into a ball and flatten with your hand.
- Gently set on top of the pot pie filling in the slow cooker. Repeat until top is covered and dough is gone.
- Cook 1-2 more hours (on low - 30 minutes to 1 hour on high), or until the biscuit dough is cooked through.
- Optional: Broil on high for about 5 minutes to get a nice brown on top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.