Homemade chicken pot pie isn’t difficult, get all the details here! This recipe is flavorful and creamy with the perfect balance of ingredients.
Chicken pot pies are such a timeless classic that it can seem both simple and intimidating to make yourself, but I promise it’s not difficult! This recipe is flavorful, creamy, and the perfect balance of ingredients.
I love homemade chicken pot pie. It’s the perfect comfort meal that’s both frugal and filling. Not only that, but it makes an incredible freezer meal for when you want to make dinner days, week, or even months in advance!
I love this double-crust chicken pot pie recipe so much and I’m sure you will too. It’s actually one of my most requested recipes from family and friends.
While I might make a few changes here and there depending on how I’m feeling, I always keep the seasonings the same. Thyme and sage- the perfect combination for flavoring this comforting meat pie recipe.
Pie Crust for Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
Making your own pie crust is another great way to sneak in added flavor, but you can use storebought if you’re crunched on time or not feeling up to the task.
I do have a super easy-to-follow post about making the perfect pie crust if you’re interested in trying and getting tips for making it perfectly every time.
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken broth
- Chicken bouillon cube
- Shredded chicken
- Frozen peas
How to make Old-Fasioned Chicken Pot Pie
- To make the pie crust, cut your butter into 1/2inch cubes and place them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, sage, and thyme.
- Cut in the butter until it resembles the size of peas.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ice water into the sour cream and then drizzle it into the dough.
- Add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time to the dough, mixing after each addition just until the dough comes together. It will be shaggy.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and bring it together with your hands. Do not overwork the dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions and place them in the fridge until you’re ready to use them.
- To make the filling, melt your butter in a large dutch oven.
- Add in the diced veggies and cook until they’re slightly softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the thyme, sage, parsley, cayenne, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add in the flour and then cook for about 3 minutes, until it’s lightly golden.
- Pour in the chicken broth, stirring occasionally. This creates the chicken pot pie roux.
- Add in the chicken bouillon cube and the cream.
- Add the shredded chicken and peas, stirring to combine.
- Simmer until the pie filling has thickened. This should be about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the filling into a pie plate. If you want the pie as a double crust, place a crust inside first. I like mine with just a single crust on top.
- Roll out a pie dough ball into a 12 inch circle and then place it on top of the pie plate, trimming up the excess crust and folding it under. Vent the top of the pie with 4-5 slits and brush the top with an egg wash.
- Bake in the oven at 375F degrees for about 30 minutes or until the top of the pie is a golden brown color.
Yes, I do this all the time. Sometimes I even use milk depending on what I have on hand or how decadent I am feeling I vary it when I make this recipe. The cream works very well in this creamy chicken pot pie recipe
You can use any chicken, white meat, dark meat, or even leftovers. In fact, leftover turkey in this pot pie recipe is also pretty heavenly.
I love doing this recipe with turkey after a holiday but taking the meat off of a rotisserie chicken from the store is a great way to save time and energy too.
Sides for Chicken Pot Pie
- Creamy Spinach Poppy Seed Salad
- Kale Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
- Cherry Tomato Salad
- Easy Cucumber Salad
- Cornbread Muffins
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
How to Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
This is one of my favorite recipes to turn into a freezer meal, it really makes the best frozen chicken pot pie. I make the pot pies in disposable pie pans that come with lids for ease.
- Follow the recipe as written, until the filling is cooked.
- Allow the filling to cool before filling the pie crusts.
- Fill the pie crust and place the top crust as directed in the instructions.
- To bake, remove from freezer and brush the top with the egg wash.
- Place in a cold oven and heat it to 350ºF.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 45 minutes. The internal temperature should register around 165ºF.
- If the top crust is getting too golden before the middle is warmed through, cover with foil.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
For the Crust
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, cold
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/3 cup water, ice cold About 1/4 – 1/3 cup, see note.
For the Pot Pie
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup peas frozen (or fresh)
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
For the Pie Crust
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch cubes and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together dry ingredients, sage, and thyme.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients until it is the size of peas.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the ice water into the sour cream. Drizzle into the dough.
- Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing gradually, until the dough just starts to come together. It will be shaggy.
- Turn it onto a floured surface and gently bring it together with your hands. Do not over-work the dough.
- Divide it into two portions and refrigerate until you are ready to use it (see note).
For the Pot Pie
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven.
- Add diced vegetables and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add thyme, sage, parsley, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook until light golden, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken bullion cube and cream.
- Add in shredded chicken and peas, stir to combine.
- Simmer until thickened, 5-7 minutes
- Pour filling into pie plate.
- Roll out one of the refrigerated pie dough portions into a 12 inch circle.
- Top with pie crust, trim any excess and fold under. Vent top of pie with 4-5 slits.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Canned Green Bean Recipes
- Perfect Beef Tenderloin
- How to Cook Ham Steak
- Hard Candy Recipe
- Homemade Syrup
- Frozen Green Bean Recipes
- Frozen Peas
- How to Make Gravy from Scratch
- How to Trim Asparagus
- Oven Roasted Turkey
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Breast
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- Smoked Beef Ribs
- Smoked Turkey Breast
- Lemon Cream Sauce for Pasta
- Prime Rib Recipe
- What is Brine?