Homemade chicken pot pie isn’t difficult, get all the details here! This recipe is flavorful and creamy with the perfect balance of ingredients! Try it!
Are you ready for one of my all-time favorite recipes?! I am a fan of chicken pot pie in all forms, but my homemade chicken pot pie is a favorite in our family. Not only is this a classic comfort food, it doubles as a fantastic freezer meal.
I have delivered this homemade chicken pot pie to friends and family on countless occasions. It never fails to bring a smile and a bit of comfort and relief from whatever they may be going through. This is one of my most requested recipes, and I finally wrote it down for you all!
Per usual, I vary this recipe every time I make it but I always keep the seasonings the same. The thyme and sage take this chicken pot pie from scratch to a whole new level.
Sometimes I’ll swap out the cream for half and half or milk, it depends on how decadent I’m feeling. Or most often what is in my fridge. Yep, I’m that kind of cook.
If you are nervous about making your own pie crust, fear not! I actually wrote a very detailed post on how to make the how to make pie crust. It isn’t hard and it doesn’t take very much time at all. Give it a shot!
If you’re too nervous or don’t have enough time, you can always purchase a pie crust. But I’m tellin’ ya – homemade pie crust will change your life. As a bonus, the pie crust recipe I give you makes two crusts, so pop one of those bad boys in the freezer and save it for the next time you make pot pie!
Or you could make this pot pie with a double crust, but I like the balance of just having the crust on top.
Now, to be 100% transparent, I actually used turkey in the pot pie that is pictured here. Both chicken and turkey work wonderfully. This is the perfect recipe to use up leftovers!
Use light or dark meat, meat from a rotisserie chicken or meat from your Christmas turkey. They all work great in my chicken pot pie from scratch recipe! And I love it with turkey just as much as I love it with chicken.
Let me know if you love this homemade chicken pot pie as much as I do! Don’t forget to check out all the details on making the perfect pie crust in this post!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
For the Crust
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, cold
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/3 cup water, ice cold About 1/4 - 1/3 cup, see note.
For the Pot Pie
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup peas frozen (or fresh)
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
For the Pie Crust
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch cubes and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together dry ingredients, sage, and thyme.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients until it is the size of peas.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the ice water into the sour cream. Drizzle into the dough.
- Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing gradually, until the dough just starts to come together. It will be shaggy.
- Turn it onto a floured surface and gently bring it together with your hands. Do not over-work the dough.
- Divide it into two portions and refrigerate until you are ready to use it (see note).
For the Pot Pie
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven.
- Add diced vegetables and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add thyme, sage, parsley, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook until light golden, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken bullion cube and cream.
- Add in shredded chicken and peas, stir to combine.
- Simmer until thickened, 5-7 minutes
- Pour filling into pie plate.
- Roll out one of the refrigerated pie dough portions into a 12 inch circle.
- Top with pie crust, trim any excess and fold under. Vent top of pie with 4-5 slits.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.