Italian Meatball Soup made with homemade meatballs is a family favorite. A hearty broth with vegetables makes it a satisfying meal.
This Italian meatball soup is a simple comfort meal to pull together. With some fresh carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes you have a ton of flavorful and colorful veggies in your pot.
Add in the tomato sauce, beef broth, meatballs, and seasonings and you have yourself a meal that is filling and delicious. But, topping it off with cheese at the end makes it absolute perfection.
I love cooking with meatballs and this soup is a great way to incorporate them in an unusual way. Using my homemade Italian meatball recipe this Italian meatball soup recipe is completely homemade, but frozen meatballs from the store taste just as good in a pinch.
Cooking soups like this Italian meatball soup are fun to make because you can always edit, tweak, add, or take away elements as you’re going along. They almost always turn out great too!
It helps to know some of the basics when it comes to making soups so you can get more comfortable with knowing what can be easily changed without sacrificing flavor or quality.
Thankfully this soup is pretty simple and top-notch as is, so it’s great for a beginner soup maker. You’re going to love this super easy soup recipe. Try it soon and tell me how it goes!
How to make Italian Meatball Soup
- In a large pot or dutch oven, add your olive oil.
- Add in the onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, and oregano. Saute until your onions are soft and translucent (this takes about 3 minutes).
- Add in the tomato paste and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring the entire time, to help to bring out the flavor.
- Pour in the beef broth and bring the soup mix to a simmer.
- Add in the meatballs and simmer until they are cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Garnish with basil, parsley, and parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.
What goes with Italian meatball soup?
This flavorful and delicious soup would pair great with simple salads, garlic bread, or even breadsticks. Finish the meal off with some chocolate dessert and you have an unbeatable night!
How long does it take to boil a meatball?
A raw meatball can take 5-10 minutes of constant boiling to cook thoroughly whereas a frozen meatball can take almost twice as long.
Whichever type of meatball you choose, make sure that they have properly reached 160F degrees before eating. This will let you know that they’ve cooked long enough to come to a safe temperature.
How long is Italian meatball soup good for?
Your leftover soup, if stored in an airtight container in the fridge can be expected to last up to 4 days and taste great. You can also store it in the same fashion but in the freezer for up to 4 months. Simply thaw and reheat to eat whenever you’re hungry.
It’s a fun way to cook with meatballs and mix up your traditional soup recipes. It was really easy to put together, I just used my classic homemade Italian meatball recipe and added a few Italian elements to my regular soup backbone recipe.
Soups are such a fun thing to cook, once you know the basics you can really make any kind you like and mix it up quite easily.
Italian Meatball Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 4 medium red or gold potatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 frozen meatballs see note
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped, 1 tablespoon if using dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped, 2 teaspoons if using dried
- 1/3 cup parmesan optional, for serving
- Add the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, and oregano to the pot. Saute until the onions are soft and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes to bring out the flavor, stirring the whole time.
- Add beef broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the meatballs into soup and simmer until they were cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with basil, parsley, and parmesan.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Green Bean Recipe
- Prime Rib Recipe
- Enchilada Recipe
- Marinara Sauce
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- How to Make Meatloaf
- Pasta Primavera
- Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Pork Chop Marinade
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Homemade Brownies
- Easy Chili Recipe
- Poppy Seed Chicken
- Homemade Lasagna
- Tuscan Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Best Baked Potato