Lemon pound cake is a dense and delicious cake that’s easy to make and doesn’t require much effort at all.
With a loaf pan, electric mixer, and a few basic ingredients we can create a delicious cake that tastes great as a snack or served as a dessert.
Pound cakes are a denser version of cake becase the only leavening agent in them is the eggs. While those one or two slices might fill you up, they’ll taste good enough you might not mind reaching for a third or fourth!
Making easy lemon pound cake is a great way to bring a simple dish to the next gathering or to bring a little sunshine indoors on a cloudy day.
With fresh and tangy lemons adding their juice and zest into the loaf, every bite is packed with flavor and speckled with yellow color.
Ingredients for Lemon Pound Cake
- Butter: We need butter to give our cake the much needs fats it needs to turn out rich and moist in flavor.
- Sugar: Giving us the sweetness we need to offset the tangy and sour lemons.
- Eggs: These are a binding agent and work to help with the leavening as well.
- Vanilla: Helping to give our flavors a nice base to work off of and make the cake taste that much better.
- Lemon: We need the juice and the zest from one lemon to create a flavorful lemon pound cake that actually tastes like fresh lemon.
- Flour: We need all purpose flour to work as the gluten-filled base for this cake.
- Salt: This is a flavor enhancer and helps to make the other flavors in this cake taste incredible.
How to Make Lemon Pound Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl whip the butter until loosened, using an electric mixer for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the sugar and then whip again until it’s fluffy and light. This should be about 2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well for about 1 minute after each addition.
- Whip the entire mixture until it’s light and fluffy (about 2 more minutes).
- Add in the vanilla, the lemon juice, the lemon zest, salt, and flour.
- Gently mix everything together until just combined.
- Spray a loaf pan (either 9×4 or 10×5) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour your batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
How to Store Lemon Pound Cake
Pound cakes should be kept stored at room temperature in a covered or sealed container for maximum freshness.
Keeping it at room temperature as opposed to in the fridge will also help the pound cake to retain moisture and not become dried out. It can last about 4-5 days at room temperature if kept properly stored.
Why is it called a pound cake?
Fun fact, the name actually comes from the recipe origin itself. Back in the 1700s when the cake was originally made, the instructions said it needed 1 pound each of flour, butter, eggs, etc.
Can you imagine how much pound cake that would make?
Lemon Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- With a hand mixer or electric mixer, whip the butter until loosened, about 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar, whip again until light and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whipping for about 1 minute between additions.
- Whip until light and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and flour.
- Mix gently, until just combined.
- Spray a single loaf pan. I use standard size loaf pans, either 9×4 inches or 10×5 inches.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for about 60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Looking for more delicious recipes and great posts?
- Canned Corn
- Canned Green Beans
- Hard Candy Recipe
- Frozen Peas
- Frozen Green Bean Recipes
- Best Prime Rib Recipe in the World
- Caramel Apple Slices
- Mexican Pork Chops
- Baked BBQ Chicken Tenders
- Where Does Beef Come From
- Gel Stain Garage Doors
- Dutch Oven Potatoes
- Beef Stroganoff From Scratch
- Dutch Oven Blueberry Cobbler
- No Bake Cheesecake without Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Buffalo Ranch Dressing
- Cattle Panel Chicken Tractor