These adorable caramel apple slices are easy to eat and fun for the whole family to make! Crisp apples, chewy caramel, and any festive topping you can imagine!
This post for Easy Caramel Apple Slices first appeared over at Eazy Peazy Mealz where I was a contributor.
Caramel apples just scream Fall, but….I actually hate eating them. They are so big and messy and rarely can I actually finish an entire caramel apple.
Caramel apple slices are the answer! Easy to grab and eat for me and the kids, plus they are super fun to make with your family. Caramel apple slices also make a great party dish or a fun treat for friends, I’ll even share a magic trick to keep the apples from browning too quickly.
I like a very tart apple since the caramel and other toppings are so sweet. Granny Smith’s are my favorite for baking and treat making because they are tart and sturdy. The apples I bought were seriously gigantic so I only used three for this whole recipe!
And if you have leftover apples you should seriously make these adorable Mummy Apple Hand Pies. SO CUTE.
You can use either caramel bits or individually wrapped caramels like I did. If you are using individually wrapped caramels, be sure they are fresh! If they are stale or old the caramel will be extremely tough after it is melted. If you aren’t sure, just get the caramel bits! They are easier than unwrapping all those caramels anyways. 🙂
If you are feeling super fancy and want to make your own caramel sauce, do it! It’s actually super easy. My friend Marlee over at I Just Make Sandwiches has a great Facebook Live video all about it if you need more details.
I also melted some chocolate and almond bark for making fun designs on the caramel apple slices. This is where your creativity can run wild! Holiday-themed sprinkles are also a fun addition. When are sprinkles not a fun addition?! I used some of these same sprinkles on my pumpkin sugar cookies this week, they are so fun!
If you are decorating with multiple people, it can take a while to get all the slices done and some of the toppings will start to solidify. To keep this from happening, I simply fill a large baking dish with a few inches of hot tap water and place the topping containers in it. This is called a “water bath” and will keep everything nice and warm and melted.
If you want to deliver these cute treats to friends or bring them to a party, just brush the exposed apple with a little lemon juice and they will stay fresh for a few hours! No browning. I wouldn’t keep them overnight though. Since the apples are cut the moisture from the inside of the fruit will evaporate and cause the caramel to slide.
I hope you enjoy this fun Fall treat and make a batch with your family!
Easy Caramel Apple Slices
For the Caramel Apples
- 5 Granny Smith apples medium sized
- 1 pound caramel see note
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips semi-sweet
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips milk chocolate
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 squares white almond bark
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- colored sprinkles
For the Caramel Apples
- Slice Apples away from the core into 1-inch slices.
- Combine caramels and cream in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each one until microwave-safe (see note). This may take a few minutes.
- Dip the slices into the caramel, letting the excess drip off. Place on a lined baking sheet to set.
- Repeat until all the slices are coated in caramel.
- If you want the slices to last for a few hours (see note), brush all the exposed apple with lemon juice.
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon oil in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 15 seconds until melted.
- Melt milk chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon oil in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 15 seconds until melted.
- Melt white almond bark in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 15 seconds until melted.
- Drizzle over caramel-coated apple slices in any design you like!
- Dust with sprinkles or chopped nuts.