Herbs are a delightful addition to any kitchen and add so much flavor your dishes. If you have don’t have much space, a DIY window herb garden is the perfect solution. They’re easy to construct and cost very little, so you can have your own herb patch in no time!
So whether you live in an apartment, house, or anywhere in between, you can add a touch of freshness to your windowsill with a herb garden.
Top Tips for Starting a Window Herb Garden
There are so many ways to create your own DIY window herb garden. But here are a few tips you should keep in mind before getting started:
- Choose the Right Herbs: Some herbs thrive indoors, while others don’t. Look for herbs like basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and mint – these some of the best herbs for indoor growing.
- Pick the Right Window: Your window herb garden should get plenty of sunlight, around 6-8 hours daily. South-facing windows are best as they often get the most sunlight. If you’re unsure which window to choose, pay close attention to how the sunlight moves through your home.
- Ensure Proper Drainage: There are many creative ways to make your own indoor herb garden, but whatever you choose, it must have proper drainage. You don’t want your herbs sitting in water! This can lead to root rot and even a gnat infestation.
- Always Water your Herbs: Once you get the hang of it, indoor herb gardening is incredibly easy. The most important thing to do is always keep them watered. The potting soil should always be kept lightly moist – not too wet or dry. Different herbs will require different amounts of water, so do your research first!
- Get the Right Soil: You’ll need loose, lightweight soil for optimal draining and aeration that won’t compact around the plant roots. Look for a potting mix specifically formulated for herbs or indoor use.
7 DIY Kitchen Window Herb Garden Ideas
Hanging Mason Jar Herb Garden
Mason jars aren’t just for storing spices – you can also create a hanging indoor garden for your window! I love how this DIY project combines the rustic charm of mason jars with the practicality of vertical gardening.
How to make a hanging herb garden using mason jars:
- Gather a some old mason jars and place some rocks or pebbles at the bottom of each one for good drainage.
- Place your herb seedlings or cuttings in the mason jars with some soil, lightly packing them down.
- Cut a piece of twine for your hanging garden and tie it around the top of each jar.
- Hang your mason jars from a hook, tension rod, or trellis attached to your window frame in a sunny spot.
Teacup or Teapot Herb Planters
Thrift stores are overflowing with cute and inexpensive tea cups or teapots! So why not use them to create an adorable herb garden for your window? Repurposing these vintage items is the easiest way to add a touch of whimsy and charm to your home.
How to make a teacup or teapot herbal planter:
- Pick out your favorite cup or pot, ensuring it has no chips or cracks – you don’t want them to leak every time you water your favorite herbs!
- Add some rocks or pebbles to the bottom for drainage.
- Place your own herbs into each cup or pot, and add soil around them.
- Arrange your teacup or teapot planters into a cute display on a sunny window sill.
Miniature Windowsill Greenhouse
Turn your windowsill into a miniature greenhouse and extend the growing season with this simple DIY project. This the best way to keep your herbs growing year-round, even during the cold winter months. There are a few methods for making a miniature greenhouse, but one of the easiest is using a clear plastic cup.
How to make a mini windowsill greenhouse:
- Plant your herbs in an ordinary terracotta pots, one with drainage holes.
- Place a clear plastic cup upside down over the top of the pot. Make sure it is securely on.
- The plastic cup will act like a mini greenhouse, trapping heat and moisture inside. This helps to keep your herbs from freezing during the winter months! You can also use glass jars, vases, or cut plastic bottles for this same purpose.
- Place each mini greenhouse into a larger, shallow planter or tray. This will help any excess water to drain away from the herbs and not onto your windowsill.
Floating Shelf Herb Garden
Grab some scrap wood or flat pack shelves, and build your own floating shelf herb garden. It’s a stylish and easy way to display your herbs in the kitchen or any other room with an open wall space.
How to make a floating shelf herb garden:
- Decide how many shelves you’ll need for your floating herb garden. Consider how many herbs you plan to grow and how big your window is.
- Measure your windows horizontally to get the right size for your floating shelves.
- Cut your pieces of wood according to the measurements or assemble the flat-pack shelving.
- Securely attach each shelf against the window, using the window pane, walls, or kitchen cupboards as a support.
- Place your herb plants onto the floating shelves and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Simple Planter Box Herb Garden
If you’re looking for a simple and classic way to spruce up your windowsill, look no further than a planter box herb garden. This is one of my favorite indoor herb garden ideas which requires minimal effort but still looks great!
How to make a planter box herb garden:
- The first step is choosing what style of planter box you’d like. A crate or wooden box is great for a rustic feel, or you can buy pre-made planter boxes from your local garden center.
- Either drill some small holes in the bottom of your planter box for drainage or add a layer of rocks for the same purpose.
- Fill your planter with soil and arrange your herbs. Place it directly next to a south-facing window and add a drip tray underneath to catch any excess water.
- You can also hang your planter box with some rope for a more unique look!
DIY Herb Garden Ladder
Repurpose an old wooden ladder to create a space-saving herb garden for your windowsill. I love how quick and easy this project is and how it can fit into the smallest of spaces!
How to make a vertical herb garden using a ladder:
- Find an old wooden ladder that you don’t mind repurposing or upcycling. Make sure it’s stable enough to hold your plants!
- Measure your window space and cut the ladder to size.
- Sand down any rough patches on the wood and paint or seal it if desired.
- Secure the ladder onto the window frame using brackets or a hook
- Plant your herbs into individual pots or containers and place them onto each ladder step.
Recycled Tin Can Herb Garden
Don’t throw away those empty tin cans! Instead, why not transform them into a neat little herb garden for your windowsill? This is a great way to repurpose items that would otherwise end up in the trash.
How to make a recycled tin can herb garden:
- Gather together some empty, clean tin cans and punch some drainage holes in the bottom of each one.
- Use chalkboard paint to decorate each tin can – you can label them with the names of the herbs you’re growing!
- Fill each can with soil and your chosen herbs, lightly packing down the soil.
- Place your tin can herb garden onto your windowsill, with a plate underneath each one to catch any excess water.
- And that’s it! You now have a unique and eco-friendly windowsill herb garden that’ll look great in your home.
Create a DIY Kitchen Herb Garden
Using simple materials and a little bit of creativity, you can turn any window into a beautiful herb garden! There’s a window herb garden option for every budget and skill level, so why not give one of these projects a try? You’ll love having fresh herbs for your cooking all year round!