This easy vegetable soup is full of healthy, simple ingredients but still packed with delicious flavor. Ready in under 30 minutes, it’s a hearty, healthy meal – quick!
This is one of those amazingly simple vegetable soup recipes that is good any time of year and can be ready so quickly but still be packed with flavor.
I used a combination of fresh, canned, and frozen veggies in this recipe, but often I’ll use frozen veggies from my garden which are just amazing. Let’s walk through how to make vegetable soup at home! It’s so easy.
How to Prepare Vegetable Soup
Don’t get too caught up in the exact vegetables you use for this soup, it’s called easy vegetable soup for a reason! I think the onions and tomatoes really add amazing flavor, but other than that, add what you like best.
- Choose vegetables you want in your soup.
- Saute tougher vegetables in butter to kickstart cooking.
- Add seasonings and broth.
- Add softer veggies.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer.
Sauteing the tougher veggies in butter at the beginning is part of what makes this a quick vegetable soup. It gets the cooking process started and veggies soft, allowing the simmer step to be shortened. It also contributes to flavor, which is essential with any quick recipe!
I love serving this simple vegetable soup with some parmesan cheese. It kicks the flavor up a notch and compliments all the veggies so well. Definitely try it! I don’t usually put any in the main pot of soup, but set it out with the soup on the table for serving. That way everyone can top their own soup. Easy!
My kids actually love this quick vegetable soup. I usually let them help make it, which they love even more. They like to pick out some of the veggies we use and that’s always an incentive to eat it!
Between the colors, picking what goes in the soup, and then sprinkling the top with cheese, they are always super motivated to eat once it’s ready. Getting kids to eat veggies is much simpler than it seems! Include them, let them choose, and make it fun. They’ll jump on the veggie train more quickly than you think!
Easy Vegetable Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup peas frozen
- 1/2 cup corn frozen or canned
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 ounces, NOT drained
- 1 can white beans 15 ounces, drained and rinsed
- parmesan cheese optional, for serving
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until softened and translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add herbs, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth, peas, corn, tomatoes, and white beans.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer until veggies are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Taste before serving and adjust seasonings. Serve with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Green Bean Recipe
- Prime Rib Recipe
- Enchilada Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Homemade Biscuits
- How to Make Meatloaf
- Pasta Primavera
- Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Easy Chili Recipe
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Homemade Bread
- Chicken and Noodles
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Homemade Lasagna
- Tuscan Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Best Baked Potato