This creamy pumpkin soup recipe is so easy to make and is perfect for Fall!! Delicious flavors and simple ingredients make this a family favorite!
There is something about the chilly autumn air that just makes it perfect soup weather. With pumpkins and other squash in season, it makes sense to join forces between the two and create a pumpkin soup.
Pumpkin soup has been a time-honored and traditional food to serve at many Thanksgiving tables in America. But that doesn’t mean that you have to wait for that one day a year to enjoy a hot bowl of this creamy orange-colored stuff!
You can enjoy creamy pumpkin soup whenever you want, and with this easy pumpkin recipe, you can make soup any time of the year. Using canned pumpkin puree means that you not only just saved yourself hours of prep, but you can also eat this dish when pumpkins aren’t in season!
How to make this easy pumpkin soup recipe
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and then add in your onions and carrots, cooking until they are slightly softened.
- This should take about 3 minutes, and you don’t want to cook them until they are too soft as they will be continuing to cook as the soup is made.
- Now add in your garlic, thyme, sage, and oregano, cooking until they are nice and fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add in your pumpkin puree and your chicken or vegetable broth, stirring until everything is well combined.
- Bring the pot to a simmer and cook until the carrots and onions are completely soft (this is about 12 minutes)
- Slowly add in your half and half, mixing as you do so (this helps to keep it from separating).
- Once that is done, you can add in your salt, pepper and fresh parsley (or you can use dried!) simmer a few more minutes and then enjoy!
How do you thicken pumpkin soup?
Although pumpkin soup is naturally on the thicker side, perhaps you want to enjoy a slightly thicker soup. That’s alright as you can thicken this soup pretty easily without needing flour or cornstarch.
Simply let it simmer a little longer (up to half an hour) with a lid off, as this allows the liquids to evaporate and results in a thicker soup.
How long does homemade pumpkin soup last?
When properly stored in an airtight container, you can safely store your pumpkin soup for up to 4 days inside your fridge!
If you choose to freeze it, it can last up to 3 months! Pro tip: divide the soup into meal-sized servings before placing in the freezer for easy future dinners.
Can you reheat pumpkin soup?
Reheating this creamy pumpkin soup is a little more effort, but so worth it!
Because the soup contains dairy milk (the half and half) you’ll want to keep stirring as you reheat it inside a pot on the stove. This will help to keep it from separating.
While there is nothing wrong with eating a soup once the dairy has separated, it does change texture and appearance making it very unappetizing.
If you’re looking for another amazing pumpkin recipe, check out Pumpkin Whoopie Pies from my friend, Melissa. She never disappoints!! These whoopie pies look so soft and pillowy, I can’t wait to give them a try.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1/2 teaspoon sage ground
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano dried
- 15 ounces pumpkin pureed , 1 regular can
- 2 cups broth veggie or chicken
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon parsley fresh, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add chopped onions and carrots. Cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, sage, and oregano. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add pumpkin and broth, stir until combined well.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the carrots and onions are soft, about 12 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender, if desired. You can also use a food processor.
- Add half and half and stir until combined.
- Stir in fresh parsley, salt, and pepper and simmer for a few more minutes.
Looking for more great Fall recipes?
- Pumpkin Hot Chocolate
- Prime Rib Recipe
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- Homemade Bread Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Banana Bread Recipe
- Layered Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Marinara Sauce
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Enchilada Recipe
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Potato Soup Recipe
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Cinnamon Caramel Syrup
- Alfredo Sauce Recipe