Pumpkin hot chocolate is so easy to make from scratch and the perfect warm drink on a cold day. Try out this easy recipe today!!
Making homemade hot chocolate is one of my favorite things to do once the weather turns cold. I love the smell and how creamy and delicious it is!! So much better than a packet.
If you’ve never made pumpkin hot chocolate, don’t worry! It’s super easy and only takes a few minutes. I love the combination of pumpkin and chocolate together and this delicious recipe is no exception!
Pumpkin Hot Chocolate Recipe Ingredients
- Whole milk
- Canned pumpkin
- Milk chocolate chips
- Vanilla extract
- Maple extract
How to make Pumpkin Hot Chocolate
- In a small saucepan, warm milk, pumpkin, and chocolate together.
- Stir them until they are all combined and the chocolate is melted.
- Add the spices and extract and bring to a simmer.
- Serve and enjoy!! So easy.
What kind of chocolate should I use for Pumpkin Hot Chocolate?
- The answer to that question is ultimately up to you. Since the pumpkin adds a lot of flavor that isn’t sweet, I like to use milk chocolate when I make pumpkin hot chocolate.
- If you like a more bitter taste, try semi-sweet or bittersweet.
- I also like to use a combination of semi-sweet and milk chocolate. I will often add half the chocolate and then taste as I go so I can get it just right!
Can I batch make pumpkin hot chocolate for later?
Yes, you can make pumpkin hot chocolate for later. Here’s how:
- Follow the recipe through for making the pumpkin hot chocolate.
- Let it cool completely.
- Transfer to a container and store in the refrigerator.
- When it’s time to use it, warm it up on medium-low heat on the stove top.
- Alternatively, you could warm it up on low in a slow cooker. Give yourself enough time to let it warm up though.
Pumpkin Spice Hot Cocoa Alternatives
- Whipped cream
- Shaved chocolate
- Extra sprinkle of cinnamon on top
- Chocolate syrup
- Caramel sauce
What flavors go good with pumpkin?
Warm spices like nutmeg, cloves, allspice, ginger and cinnamon go great with pumpkin. Maple is also a great pairing.
Serving this Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate Recipe
My favorite way to serve pumpkin spice hot chocolate is in a big mug with whipped cream on top. To take it even further, you could drizzle the whipped cream with chocolate or caramel syrup.
If you’re serving a crowd, keeping it in a slow cooker on warm will ensure everyone gets a warm cup. If you’re outdoors, store it in a drink cooler to keep it hot.
Hot Chocolate Pumpkin FAQ
No, you don’t want to bring the milk to a rolling boil. A slow simmer, until the chocolate is melted, is best. If you boil the milk, it will separate.
Pumpkin spice is a combination of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger, and nutmeg.
To reheat, warm it up on medium-low heat on the stovetop or on low in a slow cooker.
While you can make hot chocolate with water, it won’t be as creamy as making it with milk. For this particular recipe, I don’t recommend substituting water for milk.
Don’t forget to check out this amazing Instant Pot Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup. It looks so flavorful and is a perfect way to make a savory pumpkin recipe.
More favorites from Longbourn Farm
Pumpkin Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 4 cups milk whole milk is best
- 15 ounces pumpkin 1 regular can
- 1 cup chocolate chips milk chocolate is my preference, use what you prefer
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a medium saucepan.
- Stir until combined over medium low heat.
- Bring to a simmer, being careful not to boil.
- Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips.
- Stir until melted.
Rachel >> Strangers on a Plain says
I am on team pumpkin everything so I can imagine I’d love this.
I am too!! Ha!
Rich pumpkiny goodness. I’ll be making this again!
So glad you liked it, Melissa!!