Almond poppy seed bread is a quick bread recipe that you’re going to love! With moist and soft crumb packed with flavorful poppy seeds, what’s not to like?
As you’d expect from this quick bread recipe, it’s actually fairly easy to pull together. This is especially great when we want to enjoy a sweet and savory carb-filled snack without a ton of effort.
This one bowl bread recipe is also great for those of us that loathe doing the dishes. Food is great, but dishes aren’t. Am I right?
With this awesome poppy seed bread recipe we can have a wonderful and tasty treat without all of the cleaning up afterward.
Ingredients in Almond Poppy Seed Bread
- Flour– with 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour we can create the gluten-packed base that we need for this great bread recipe.
- Baking Powder– We will need 2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder to create enough leavening to make this bread nice and fluffy instead of sinking and falling flat.
- Salt– With 1 teaspoon of salt we can add enough of a flavor boost to the recipe to make everything taste great. Salt is a great wingman for the other flavors in the dish.
- Buttermilk– To add a liquid, an acid, and some fat we’ll use 1 cup buttermilk. You can DIY your own buttermilk with 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice. Let the mix sit for 10 minutes before using it. I highly recommend using buttermilk when you can as there is no perfect substitute for the real deal.
- Oil– With ½ cup of oil we get a good amount of fat added to the recipe to keep the crumb nice and moist.
- Eggs– Eggs work as a binder to hold everything together and also affect the leavening. We need 2 eggs to pull this recipe together well.
- Extracts– Using 1 teaspoon of almond extract and ½ teaspoon of the vanilla extract we create a flavor base for everything to work off of- and it’s a delicious one!
- Poppy Seeds– Can’t have poppy seed bread without poppy seeds. We’ll need 1 tablespoon of seeds to make this dish speckled with flavor.
How to Make Almond Poppy Seed Bread
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and prepare a bread loaf pan. I use a 9×4 but if you use smaller, you’ll need 2 pans.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Create a well in the center of the ingredients and add in the remaining ingredients.
- Whisk everything together until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared bread pan(s).
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until the top of the bread is a golden brown and a toothpick can come out clean.
When to Serve Almond Poppy Seed Bread?
This bread is great for any time of day/year. It would make a great contribution to your next tea party too.
A nice slice of almond poppy seed bread next to your cupcakes and sweets can be a great change of pace for something less sweet and more savory.
This bread also does great for a simple snack or warmed with butter spread on top.
Almond Poppy Seed Bread
- 2 1/2 cups flour all purpose
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the flour.
- Whisk toegether until just combined.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan (see note).
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Pastina (Old Family Classic)
- Canned Corn
- Canned Green Beans
- Best Prime Rib Recipe
- What is Brine
- How to Cook Ham Steak
- Hard Candy Recipe
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Breast
- Frozen Peas
- Frozen Green Beans
- How to Trim Asparagus
- Blackberry Syrup
- Caramel Apple Slices
- Dutch Oven Chicken Breast
- Can you Freeze Potato Soup
- Mexican Pork Chops
- Herb Bread Recipe
- Baked BBQ Chicken Tenders
- Dutch Oven Potatoes