Yellow cupcakes are super easy to make at home and taste amazing with homemade chocolate frosting! Soft, moist, and perfectly sweet.
I think everyone at some point has had yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting while growing up. It’s like a tradition because it’s such a classic and simple dessert.
While most people probably use the boxed cake mix and canned frosting out of simplicity, making them from scratch isn’t much more work.
Not only that, but homemade yellow cupcakes are a million times better than boxed. Sure there are a few more dishes to clean, but this yellow cupcake recipe is worth it.
Soft, moist, flavorful cupcakes that are going to have you eating them two at a time.
Speaking of eating cupcakes, how do you eat them? Are you a lick the frosting off and eat the rest kind of person? A traditionalist that eats them as intended?
Or do you rip the frosting covered tops off, flip them over and create a cake and frosting sandwich before biting into one? Vote in the comments below, I’d love to see!
I don’t think there is a wrong way to eat a cupcake. Scratch that, I have kids. I KNOW there are a few ways to eat a cupcake wrong. But let’s pretend those don’t exist and just focus on these yellow cupcakes.
This is the best yellow cupcake recipe ever, which means everyone is more likely to eat them whole and not leave them as a half eaten pile of crumbs on your couch. Try them today and see, but just in case, keep a couch cover handy.
How to Make Yellow Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well (an indent/hole) in the dry ingredients and add in the oil, vinegar, vanilla, eggs, and water.
- Whisk everything together until just combined.
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Fill your muffin cups 2/3rds of the way full so that they have room to grow.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool before frosting.
How to make the frosting
- Place the heavy cream into a medium sized bowl and heat in the microwave until it’s almost boiling.
- Add in the chocolate chips and whisk until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Chill the chocolate mixture until it’s nice and cold.
- Once the mix is nice and cold, whisk it on high speed using an electric mixer until it’s light and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting over the yellow cupcakes and then serve and enjoy.
How to store frosted yellow cupcakes
After your cupcakes have been completely frosted you can keep them at room temperature or about 2-3 days and they’ll be just fine.
You should make sure to keep them covered or in an airtight container to avoid drying out.
Can I freeze cupcakes?
Absolutely! If you don’t think you’ll eat them fast enough or you simply want to make them in advance you can freeze your cupcakes with or without frosting.
Place the cupcakes on a baking sheet and freeze them solid for about an hour or two. Then transport them to an airtight container and keep frozen or up to 3 months. To thaw and eat, simply place cupcakes on a counter and let them come to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
Yellow Cupcake Recipe
For the Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups flour all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups water
For the Icing
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
For the Cupcakes
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the oil, vinegar, vanilla, eggs, and water.
- Whisk until just combined.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
For the Chocolate Icing
- Heat the cream in a medium bowl in the microwave until almost boiling.
- Add the chocolate chips and whisk until smooth and well combined.
- Chill the mixture until it's cold.
- Once it's chilled, whisk it on high speed until it's light and fluffy.
- Ice cupcakes evenly.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Canned Corn
- Oreo Strawberry Cheesecake
- Dutch Oven Potatoes
- How to Cook Frozen Peas
- How to Cook Frozen Green Beans
- Mexican Pork Chops
- Best Prime Rib Recipe in the World
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Breast
- Hard Candy Recipes
- Pastina Recipe
- Beef Stroganoff from Scratch
- Caramel Apple Slices
- How to Cook Zucchini on the Stove
Love these cupcakes!