This homemade chocolate chip pancake mix recipe turns out every time and will be a family favorite! Easily customize the mix to your preference!
One of my favorite breakfast meals is pancakes. I just love ’em! I love them in any size, shape, form, or flavor. But I am picky about my pancakes. You knew that was coming, right? I don’t like them to be tough or flavorless or fall apart too easily. I love the convenience of mixes, but I don’t usually like how store bought ones taste or turn out. Or how much they can cost! This chocolate chip pancake mix is a fun twist on my original homemade pancake mix recipe and the kids love it for special occasions!
I also was left less than impressed with a few homemade pancake mix recipes I tried. So I developed one myself. I experimented with a few of my favorite pancake recipes a couple years ago and came up with a homemade pancake mix recipe that I love. It turns out every time, it’s easy to put together, and you can add anything you like to get the whatever kind of pancakes you happen to be craving!
I’m telling you, making mixes is so darned easy and so darned convenient and so darned delicious! You’ll never look back once you try it out.
Andy isn’t as big of a pancake fan as I am, but he does appreciate a good chocolate chip pancake. This chocolate chip pancake mix is definitely his favorite variety! I’d say from this photo that Abram approves of the chocolate chip pancakes as well.
I like the way the pancakes turn out when I use mini chocolate chips vs the large ones. I also like to just sprinkle them on top of the pancakes after I’ve poured the batter onto the griddle, I think it makes sure each pancake gets an even distribution of chocolate chips.
If you want to be really decadent, serve them up with lightly whipped cream on top, an extra sprinkle of chocolate chips, and your favorite syrup! Dessert for breakfast, heaven on a plate. YUM!
Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix
For the Mix
- 4 cups flour (AP)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips exact amount up to you
To Make Pancakes
- 2 1/4 cups pancake mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter melted and cooled
- Whisk all together and store in an air-tight container or baggie.
- Whisk milk and lemon juice together and set aside to thicken for a few minutes.
- Whisk egg into melted butter into the milk.
- Gently mix into the pancake mix, do not over mix. There will be some lumps.
- Pour about 1/4 cup pancake batter for each pancake onto hot, buttered griddle.
- Flip when bubbles start to form on top and the underside is light golden brown.