Learning how to make garlic butter is easy! With just a few ingredients you can have a flavorful butter to use on bread, with steak, or however, you choose!
Once you know how to make a delicious garlic herb butter, your life will be changed. Not only can having a garlic butter in your fridge make you feel “extra fancy” but it will also help you to make mealtime happen more quickly.
I personally use this garlic herb butter on everything from chicken to steaks and pasta. Slicing off a few tablespoons of this flavorful butter and mixing it in with the dish I’m creating or brushing it on a piece of meat helps me to cut down on the prep time and take the guesswork out of what flavor spices I want on that chicken leg- which can often lead to dinner ruts and foggy brain syndrome.
Making this butter is easy enough that anyone can do it, and thankfully it’s pretty frugal too! In fact, mixing up a few small mason jars of flavored butter can be a great homemade gift to hand out this holiday season to family and friends.
How to make garlic butter
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all of your ingredients and mix well. You can use your own hands (with gloves on) a wooden spoon or electric mixer if you want to get it done faster, the end results are the same.
- Lay a large piece of plastic wrap on a clean counter or table and then turn out your butter mix onto the plastic wrap.
- Shape the butter into a roll and roll it up in the plastic wrap (think of a tootsie roll).
- Place it in the fridge until it’s chilled and set.
- Then you can slice off as much as you want whenever needed.
What can I use garlic butter for?
I already mentioned how I use it for everything, but some other great ideas include adding a thick slice on top of a hot steak, or a dollop over a steamed fish fillet. Brushing it on fresh-baked scones and biscuits can give a nice savory flavor addition.
One last idea is rubbing this butter inside the skin of a turkey before roasting so that the flavors can penetrate the meat and make the turkey flavorful and delicious.
How long is garlic butter good for?
After mixing garlic butter you can expect it to last at least a week in the fridge, even longer if you chose to use dried seasonings instead of fresh. That being said it can last up to 6 months in the freezer! Portioning the butter out into small amounts (like an ice tray) can help you to have ready-to-go pieces for any recipe. And how cute is this little taste tester?? She is the best tiny helper ever.
How to Make Garlic Butter
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme dried (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary dried
- 1/2 teaspoon basil dried
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley dried
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
- Turn out onto plastic wrap.
- Shape into a roll, roll up in the plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge until chilled.
- Slice and use as needed.
Looking for more amazing recipes??
- Pork Chop Marinade
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Beef Enchilada Recipe
- Homemade Brownies
- Homemade Lasagna
- Crinkle Cookies
- Tuscan Chicken
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Corn Recipes
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Roast Beef Recipe
- Homemade Chili
- BBQ Chicken in the Oven
- Easy Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs