Learn how to make cream of chicken soup at home! It’s so easy and you are in control of the ingredients. It tastes amazing and only takes a few minutes!
You see it in the stores and you’ve probably bought it a few times to make your casseroles and other delicious dishes, but did you know that you could make your own cream of chicken soup?
It’s easy to make, doesn’t require much and it’s significantly more healthy for you. Homemade cream of chicken soup doesn’t have nearly as much sodium in it as the canned version.
So, if you’re looking to add healthier dishes into your family’s lives, this cream of chicken soup recipe could be the perfect way to “spruce up” your family’s already favorite dishes.
How is condensed soup made?
If you’re wondering how to make cream of chicken soup, don’t worry- it’s easy! In fact, you probably already have most (if not all) of the cream of chicken soup ingredients in your home already! So if you have 10 minutes of time and are ready to make it as your great-grandma did, keep reading!
How to make cream of chicken soup:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter and then add in the flour and stir until its combined. Let cook for about two minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and continue stirring until all of the lumps have been dissolved.
- Now add in the spices and chicken bullion.
- Continue stirring until the condensed soup has thickened up, this should take about 2 or 3 minutes.
How long will cream of chicken soup last in the fridge?
While 1 recipe’s worth of cream of chicken soup yields about the same amount as a single can of it, you may find recipes where you don’t want to use the entire batch at once. There’s no point in wasting it if you can help it, so why not store any unused cream of chicken soup inside your fridge?
If placed in a properly sealed container, you can safely seal the soup away for up to 4 days, but the sooner you can use it, the better.
Can you freeze it?
A good question is whether or not you can freeze this cream of chicken soup. Unfortunately, it’s not a cut-dry answer. You CAN freeze it, but you may not WANT to.
Confused? Don’t worry, I’ll explain.
Due to the soup having a cream base, it may separate when frozen, so when you thaw it and go to use it, it won’t be exactly as it was when you stored it away. You can fix this by reheating it and carefully blending the mixture back together.
Another option is that you can mix it into something like a freezer-friendly casserole meal, this way you wouldn’t even notice any separation.
Homemade cream of chicken soup is delicious and once you see how easy it is to make it at home, you may never want to buy the canned version again. Try it and see for yourself!
Looking for more delicious homemade recipes??
- Homemade Beef Stroganoff
- Homemade Creamy Chicken Over Noodles
- Hawaiian Haystacks
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Beef Enchiladas
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Homemade Pizza Dough
- The Best Homemade Bread
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- Homemade BBQ Dry Rub
How to Make Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken bullion
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk gradually until it's evenly combined.
- Add spices and bullion, stir well.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer on low for 2-3 minutes until thickened.