Creamy chicken over noodles is a flavorful, fast dinner that is made from scratch. Similar to chicken ala king, this version will please the whole family!
Creamy chicken over noodles is a childhood recipe I have remade into a quick totally homemade meal. My mother made a version of this growing up using canned cream of chicken soup, similar to Chicken ala King but without the vegetables. Mine is made from scratch and has a slightly different flavor profile. It’s not going to win any beauty pageants, but it is delicious and ready in 20 minutes flat!
The reason this dinner is so speedy is because I use leftover chicken. In fact, I used the leftover chicken from my homemade rotisserie chicken! So yummy. If you don’t have any leftover chicken, just bake some chicken breasts earlier in the day or right before you need them. I wrote a handy post about how to bake chicken breasts in the oven, check it out if you need some pointers!
I always love the flavor of thyme and sage with any kind of poultry, and this quick dinner is no exception. I also pair it with just a bit of cream cheese, and the flavor combination is awesome. It makes the sauce creamy and dreamy and flavorful.
I’ll also let you in on a little secret. Replacing canned cream of whatever soups is a cinch! All you need to do is make a roux. And that is easy, do not fear! All a roux is is equal parts fat to flour, cooked for a few minutes, and then a liquid is added. In this case, I used chicken broth and milk which is my usual ratio when replacing canned soups.
From there, you can adjust the flavor and creaminess by adding cream or sour cream. A perfect example is my beef stroganoff from scratch recipe, it’s something that is normally made from a box or canned soup. But I replaced it just the same way I did with this recipe!
If you’re looking for more awesome from scratch recipes, search around my site or head over to my friend Amanda’s website, Call Me Betty. She has some awesome homemade and healthy recipes!
But, make this creamy chicken over noodles tonight! It’s quick, delicious, and a great meal for a busy weeknight. As an added bonus, you can also make the chicken mixture earlier in the day and just heat it up come dinner time. So easy!
PIN this recipe on your Quick Dinner board to SAVE it for later Follow Longbourn Farm on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas, and recipes!
Creamy Chicken Over Noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 2 green onions sliced thin and divided
- 1 pound egg noodles
- Boil egg noodles according to package instructions while you are prepping the creamy chicken.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the flour whisk together into a paste. Cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes, until the mixture darkens slightly.
- Pour in chicken stock and milk, whisking constantly.
- Add herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer until thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Add chicken and green onions, leaving some of the green onions for garnishing.
- Serve warm over egg noodles. Garnish with green onion slices, if desired.