Homemade apple bread is the perfect fall dessert and so easy to whip together. With just a few simple ingredients you can have fresh apple bread!
While making some bread can be time-consuming and labor-intensive, this homemade apple bread is actually incredibly easy to put together. Just another perk of quick breads!
Simply throw it together, pour it in a pan, and sit on the couch while you smell the most amazing apple bread baking in your oven. Avoiding the temptation to open and peek, but growing more and more hungry as the timer counts down.
Topped with brown sugar and oats, it’s like fall just condensed itself into a small bread pan just for you! Apple crisp meets apple cake in this delicious warm bread.
How to make this apple bread recipe
- In a small bowl sift together the dry ingredients and the spices. Then whisk the white sugar into the bowl or dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs until they are light in color and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Then add in the buttermilk, melted butter, and the vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Chop up the apples into 1-inch cubes. (You can use any type of apple that you want, I personally enjoy the Gala and Honeycrisp apples!)
- Mix the apples and pecans into the dry ingredients, mixing until well coated.
- Now fold the bowl of dry ingredients into the larger bowl of wet ingredients and mix until well combined. The batter is going to be very thick!
- Grease two bread loaf pans and make sure to coat them in flour after you grease them as this will help to prevent sticking.
- Now divide the batter between the two pans.
- In another bowl, combine the brown sugar and oats.
- Now sprinkle the oat mix over the top of the bread batter and dot with some slices of cold butter.
- Bake for about 55 minutes in a preheated oven until the toothpick can come out clean.
- Let the homemade apple bread cool in the pans for about 20 minutes before turning them out onto a cooling rack.
What is a quick bread?
Quick bread is a bread that is made with leavening agents instead of yeast. (Leavening agents are things like baking powder and baking soda). With these in the batter, you have to bake it immediately after mixing to get your bread to rise.
Quick bread also tends to have more of a cake-like texture instead of the yeast bread, making them a little denser- but still absolutely delicious!
Apple Bread Recipe
For the Batter
- 3 cups flour all-purpose
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 10 teaspoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 apples chopped, see note
- 1 cup pecans chopped
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter cold
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and the spices into a small bowl.
- Add the white sugar. Whisk into the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla to the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Chop apples into 1-inch cubes. Toss apples and pecans into the dry ingredients.
- Fold together until combined.
- The batter will be very thick – this is normal!
- Grease two loaf pans (see note) and coat them in a light layer of flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between the loaf pans.
- Combine the brown sugar and oats.
- Sprinkle over the top of the loaf pans. Dot with the cold butter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Looking for more great bread recipes??
- Banana Bread Recipe
- Bread Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Homemade Pretzels
- Homemade Biscuits
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Sticky Buns
- Moist Cornbread Recipe
- Homemade Wheat Bread
- Blueberry Bread
- Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
- Dutch Oven Bread
- Easy Pizza Dough
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Citrus Thyme Bread