Looking for a quick weeknight meal, or a fast lunch? This 5 minute Tortilla Pizza will hit the spot. Easy, delicious, and a fast recipe!
Tortilla Pizza Recipe
Lunch is one of the meals I struggle with mixing up. Up until the last year of my life, I’ve always been away at school or work for lunch and so I’d usually have it planned out and made in advance. When I’m home, I’m not an awesome meal planner. I find myself and Abram eating the same things week after week and it gets boring! Andy taught me how to make this 5 Minute Pizza and it’s perfect for a quick but satisfying lunch at home! Also perfect for me, because I love pizza.
This recipe is hardly a recipe, it couldn’t be simpler. A tortilla takes the place of pizza crust and then the toppings are all up to you. The quickest and easiest way to get these made is by just using the jarred pizza sauce. I don’t often have that around, so I usually make my own quick pizza sauce.
Tortilla Pizza Ingredients
- Large flour tortillas
- Pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Your favorite pizza toppings
Homemade pizza sauce
- Pureed tomatoes
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Granulated sugar
- For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
Quick Sauce for Pizza Tortilla
I use about 1/2 a can of plain tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, and simmer for a few minutes while you prep the other ingredients.
Of course taste it, and adjust from there. I usually get about four 5 Minute Pizza’s from that amount of sauce. This isn’t my traditional pizza sauce, but for a quick 5 Minute Pizza, it hits the spot.
Another reason I love this recipe is because I love pizza. Like, I really, really love pizza. I saw a shirt with a quote on it that said, “Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard and believe in yourself” and I should have purchased it because that is my life’s motto. I may or may not be known for my ability to eat quite a bit of pizza.
In fact, my little sister and I share this love of pizza and actually have a ranking for all of the local pizza places around where we each live.
It’s not an obsession. I promise. Ok, it might be an obsession.
But it’s a healthy one. As in mentally healthy. Probably not physically healthy. This is why I workout.
The point is: Pizza is good and one of the 47 basic food groups. Try this 5 Minute Pizza, because everyone should love pizza as much as I do.
What cheese do you put on pizza tortilla?
Mozzarella cheese is the most commonly used cheese when making homemade pizzas but you can easily use any number of cheeses or combinations of cheeses for your own pizza.
- Italian blend shredded cheese,
- Mexican blend shredded cheese,
- Italian blend shredded cheese
These are all great options for when you’re in a hurry and looking for a simpler choice.
Tortilla Pizza Oven Toppings
Due to the thinness of the tortilla pizza you should consider your toppings well. You don’t want too many things piled up or else your pizza slices will be hard to hold without dropping a few.
Here’s a list of great topping suggestions that you might really like:
- Pepperoni slices
- Sliced black olives
- Pineapple chunks
- Sliced bell peppers
- Sliced red onion
- Shredded chicken (great for using up rotisserie chicken!)
- Sliced mushrooms
- Cooked ground sausage
- Leftover taco meat
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Fresh basil leaves
How to make Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce inside of a small saucepan on the stove.
- Simmer the sauce together for about 3 minutes before using.
- This is a great time to prep the toppings for your pizza if you need to gather, wash or slice them before using.
How to Make Pizza with Tortillas
- To make the pizza start by setting your oven to high broil.
- Arrange 4 flour tortillas on a cookie sheet and lay them out flat so that they are not overlapping.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce on top of each tortilla. You want to leave about ½ an inch around the edge of the tortilla empty to act as the crust, this also gives you a safe place to hold it while eating.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the sauce and then arrange your toppings over the cheese.
- Place the sheet into the oven and broil for 3 minutes or until the cheese is melty and bubbling. Don’t take your eyes off of it!
What to Serve with Flour Tortilla Pizza
More Posts to See
For the Pizza
- 8 flour tortillas larger size
- 2 cups your favorite pizza sauce recipe for quick homemade version follows
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of your choice!
Quick Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 can pureed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- dash of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Pizza
- Set oven to broil, on high.
- On a cookie sheet, arrange 4 flour tortillas so they are all laying flat and not overlapping.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce on each, leaving about a 1/2 inch from the edge of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle with cheese and your favorite toppings!
- Broil about 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and bubbling.
For the Quick Homemade Pizza Sauce
- In a small sauce pan, combine all ingredients. Simmer while you prep pizza toppings and pizzas, about 3 minutes.