Instant pot potato soup is an easy and delicious meal that your whole family will love. Packed with flavor and quick to make!
While most potato soup recipes give you a creamy and thick chowder-like soup, this instant pot potato soup recipe brings you an almost stew-like soup that is perfect for cold weather nights. You’re going to love the hearty feeling of this comfort meal and the delicious flavors in every bite.
Making potato soup in the instant pot is a great way to get a fast (and frugal) dinner on the table. This easy potato soup comes together in just minutes.
The time spent waiting for the Instant Pot to reach pressure or release at the end is the perfect time for getting the kitchen cleaned and dinner set. If only the Instant Pot could do that for you too then dinner would be made even easier.
Thankfully this easy potato soup is a one-pot dish from start to finish all of the cooking is done inside of the Instant Pot. This gives you less dirty dishes to worry about and let’s be honest- no one likes washing a ton of dishes, right? If you do, let me know so I can eat at your house from now on.
When the weather gets cold outside, there is nothing better than holding on to a warm bowl of steaming hot soup. This potato soup helps to hit the spot and fill the tummies. It’s so filling that you may not have room left for a second bowl full, but it tastes so good you might try to take on that challenge anyways.
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Set your multicooker or instant pot to saute mode.
- Add in the butter and the onions and cook them until they are translucent.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except for the chives and the parsley.
- Put the lid on and then set your multicooker or Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Make sure that the vent is in the sealing position.
- Let the soup have a natural release for at least 10 minutes, if you try to vent it too soon, the hot liquid will come out of the vent. (Trust me, you don’t want that.)
Can You Freeze Potato Soup?
While you could freeze your leftover potato soup, I do not recommend it. This soup not only contains dairy in it (which separates when frozen) but it also contains potatoes which once frozen the textures change and become very unappealing. For these reasons I cannot recommend freezing potato soup, so it’s best to keep it stored in the fridge and eating the leftovers before they go bad.
How Can I Thicken My Potato Soup?
If you’d like your soup to be made thicker there are two very simple options you can do. One is mixing a cornstarch slurry with water and cornstarch and then whisking it into the hot soup. The other option is taking some instant potato flakes and pouring them in (a little at a time) and stirring them into the soup. They’ll thicken it instantly and add to the potato flavor.
What Should I Serve With Potato Soup?
Potato soup is a bowl of starches but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t taste great with a nice bread roll or a slice of crusty french bread. Most soups taste great with a bread as a side dish.
Another good option is having a simple side salad to accompany the soup so that you can get a few extra veggies into your diet and offer yourself more textures at dinner to choose from.
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 6 potatoes rough chop, russet, red or gold, medium sized
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cream
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- Set the Multicooker or Instant Pot to saute mode.
- Add butter and onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the chives and parsley.
- Put the lid on and set the Multicooker or Instant Pot to Manual High Pressure for 10 minutes, with the vent in the sealing position.
- Let natural release for at least 10 minutes, if you try to vent too soon the hot liquid will come out the vent.
Looking for other great recipes?
- Prime Rib Recipes
- Over Easy Eggs
- How to Make Gravy
- Pork Chop Marinade
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Homemade Bread
- Chicken and Noodles
- Smoked Turkey Breast
- Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Corn Recipes
- How to Make White Rice
- BBQ Chicken in the Oven
- Steak Salad
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Homemade Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs