Stroganoff is one of those comfort dishes that everyone can enjoy and you can enjoy it even more with this Instant Pot ground beef stroganoff recipe. It’s an easy one pot recipe perfect for a fast dinner.
Serve your cooked beef stroganoff with egg noodles, rice, or even mashed potatoes depending on what you enjoy it with more. It tastes great with any option and even by itself. You’re going to love the convenience of this ground beef stroganoff Instant Pot recipe.
What is ground beef stroganoff?
Stroganoff is a frugal recipe of homemade gravy and cooked beef usually served over noodles or rice. It’s a perfect dinner meal option when you want something cheap, easy, and comforting. It’s been around for a very long time but thanks to the invention of Instant Pots, it’s gotten a more modern upgrade with this recipe twist.
- Ground beef
- White mushrooms
- Ground sage
- Beef broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- Soy sauce
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
See the recipe card for specific quantities needed.
How to Make Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Set your Instant Pot to saute mode and cook your ground beef until it’s about halfway cooked through.
- Add in the butter and melt.
- Once the butter has melted, add in your diced onions and cook for another 3 minutes or so- until the onions are translucent in color.
- Add in the minced garlic and mushrooms, cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground sage, salt, pepper, and stir to combine. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in your beef broth while stirring constantly.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and the soy sauce.
- Add your beef and then stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and then make sure to set the vent to the sealed position.
- Cook in high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Once it’s done, open the lid and stir in the sour cream and heavy cream until well blended.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice as desired.
Broth. You can use beef broth or water as desired for the liquid base of this recipe. The beef broth will give you a little more color in the sauce and a lot more flavor, but water works just as fine too in a pinch.
Ground beef: If desired you can use other ground meats in this recipe such as ground turkey, ground lamb, or even ground pork. Beef is more traditional with stroganoff but other meats could make it healthier or more flavorful.
Sour cream. If desired, you can make your stroganoff a little healthier by swapping out the sour cream for some plain unsweetened Greek yogurt. The replacement ratio is 1:1 and no additional steps are necessary. Use exactly as you would the sour cream.
If you want your sauce to look darker in color you can make a simple switch in the cooking steps with the butter to get a little more color. Simply start by browning the beef in 1 tablespoon of butter and then remove it from the pot. Add in the onions and remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and carry on with the recipe as directed.
Side dish ideas: Because this dish is pretty rich, it’s often served with something like a green veggie. Steamed or roasted broccoli, green beans, or even a crisp cold green salad can be great options. You can even serve it alongside a hearty slice of crusty bread and butter.
Storage. Keep your leftover beef stroganoff stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat before eating.
Reheating. To reheat your beef stroganoff you’ll want to be careful not to overcook it or cook it at too high of a temperature as this can cause the dairy to curdle or the meat to dry out. I recommend placing it in a covered pot over low/medium heat until warmed through. Adjusting the heat if necessary until it’s safely reached
Fun fact, beef stroganoff is actually a Russian dish that was named after Count Stroganov. The original recipe included French mustard and sour cream. In Russia, they usually serve Stroganov/Stroganoff over cut potatoes (french fries) while here in the states we prefer noodles and other starches.
As long as you haven’t mixed it with starches like rice or cooked pasta, it’s perfectly fine to store leftover stroganoff in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months. Simply thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat before serving.
If you would like to thicken up your stroganoff a bit more you can stir in a cornstarch slurry while the mixture is still heated and warm. This should thicken it instantly to your liking. Start with a blended ratio of one tablespoon of cornstarch and one tablespoon warm water in a small bowl. Slowly add the slurry into the pot as you stir until thickened. You may not need all of the slurry to reach your desired thickness.
Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion chopped, about 1 onion
- 1 cup mushrooms white, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons sage ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth or water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- With the Instant Pot on saute mode, cook the ground beef until halfway cooked.
- Add the butter and melt.
- Add in the onions, cooking about 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add sage, flour, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add beef broth, stirring constantly.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce, stir.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot with the vent in the “sealed” position.
- Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
- Stir in cream and sour cream until combined.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.
Looking for more great recipes and ideas?
- What is Brine
- How to Cut an Onion
- Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- How to Make Candy
- How to Make Nachos with Ground Beef
- St. Louis Ribs Crock Pot
- Herb Bread
- PVC Pipe Chicken Feeder
- Pecan Crescent Cookies
- Green Bean Seasoning
- Butterbeer Ingredients
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- How Do I Make Hummingbird Food
- How to Tell if Steak is Done
- Baked Barbeque Chicken Thighs
- Beef Stroganoff from Scratch
- How to Trim Asparagus
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- How Long to Smoke Beef Ribs