Slow cooker mexican chicken is delicious, packed with flavor and easy to make! Serve it over rice, quinoa, or even in a taco salad! Instant Family Favorite!
I am so excited about this slow cooker Mexican chicken! It is one of the easiest recipes I make and it is so versatile. We usually serve it over rice but it is fantastic over couscous or quinoa and even as part of a taco salad.
You’ll Love this Crockpot Mexican Chicken
The best thing about this meal is how quick it is to throw together.
Mexican Chicken Crock Pot Ingredients
Here is the line up of ingredients:
- Chicken breasts
- Canned corn
- Canned black beans
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Chicken bouillon cube
- Colby jack cheese
Don’t be scared by all the spices, you can totally sub a packet of taco seasoning if that is more your jam!! Additionally, you can sub a can of diced green chilies instead of the jalapeno. All of these little deets are outlined in the recipe card. 🙂
How To Make Crock Pot Mexican Chicken
Step one is to chop the onion, jalapeno, and dump all the cans in the slow cooker! Obviously, you can just dump them on top of each other…but I love pretty pictures!
And then I mix it. Because it kind of drives me crazy when I see recipe videos and they don’t mix it. Definitely not something that is life or death but it drives the detail-oriented side of me insane!
Annnnd this looks good enough to eat! Almost like a salsa. After it is mixed, I place the chicken breasts on top. I use 3-4 for my family depending on how large they are. Nestle them down in there!
Then, mix up the seasonings. I know this looks like a lot but it is basically just taco seasoning. You can follow the directions in this recipe for the spices I used here, just buy a packet of taco seasoning, or add 4-5 tablespoons of my homemade taco seasoning.
Mix those babies up before you spread them on the chicken so everything gets evenly flavored.
This dish packs a mild spice, so amp it up with more jalapeno or some cayenne pepper in that spice mix.
Cover the slow cooker and let it do it’s magic, carefully turning the chicken over halfway through. I typically don’t like to let chicken go in the crockpot for 8 hours, I think it gets dried out. I prefer low temp for 6 or high temp for 3.
When the chicken is fully cooked and tender, it’s time to dress it up! Sprinkle on some cheese and let it melt for 5-10 minutes. Then serve it any which way you choose!
How To Serve Mexican Crockpot Chicken
This Mexican chicken is great over rice or with Frito chips. My favorite is taco salad style!
Mexican Chicken Crockpot Storage
This Mexican chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can also be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Mexican Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe FAQ
Yes, you can put frozen chicken in the crockpot. It will increase the amount of liquid in the final recipe, so keep that in mind.
Yes, you can layer chicken in the crock pot, everything will cook evenly. You shouldn’t need to layer the chicken in this recipe.
There needs to be at least 1 1/2 cups of liquid in the crock pot for the chicken to cook and not burn.
- How to Use a Slow Cooker
- 75 Hands-Free Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada
- Slow Cooker Pork Ribs
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Teriyaki Meatballs
- Crock Pot Lava Cake
- French Dip Sliders
- Crock Pot Short Ribs
Mexican Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe
- 3 medium chicken breasts
- 15 oz corn 1 can, drained (see note)
- 15 oz black beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz diced tomatoes 1 can, NOT drained
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small jalapeno minced (or substitute 1 4-oz can of diced green chilies)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder see note
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 1 cup colby jack cheese shredded, see note
- In a large slow cooker, combine corn, beans, tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno.
- Nestle chicken breasts into the vegetables and add bullion cube.
- Mix seasonings together (see note) and sprinkle over the top of everything in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours.
- If possible, turn chicken breasts and give everything a light mix halfway through cooking.
- After the cooking time is up, top chicken breasts with cheese and cover for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish as desired and serve over rice, over lettuce as a salad, or any other way else you choose!