Slow cooker mexican chicken is delicious, packed with flavor and easy to make! Serve it over rice, quinoa, or even in a taco salad! Instant Family Favorite!
I am so excited about this slow cooker Mexican chicken! It is one of the easiest recipes I make and it is so versatile. We usually serve it over rice but it is fantastic over couscous or quinoa and even as part of a taco salad.
The best thing about this meal is how quick it is to throw together. Here is the line up of ingredients:
Don’t be scared by all the spices, you can totally sub a packet of taco seasoning if that is more your jam!! Additionally, you can sub a can of diced green chilies instead of the jalapeno. All of these little deets are outlined in the recipe card. 🙂
Step one is to chop the onion, jalapeno, and dump all the cans in the slow cooker! Obviously you can just dump them on top of each other…but I love pretty pictures!
And then I mix it. Because it kind of drives me crazy when I see recipe videos and they don’t mix it. Definitely not something that is life or death but it drives the detail-oriented side of me insane!
Annnnd this looks good enough to eat! Almost like a salsa. After it is mixed, I place the chicken breasts on top. I use 3-4 for my family depending on how large they are. Nestle them down in there!
Then, mix up the seasonings. I know this looks like a lot but it is basically just taco seasoning. You can follow the directions in this recipe for the spices I used here, just buy a packet of taco seasoning, or add 4-5 tablespoons of my homemade taco seasoning.
Mix those babies up before you spread them on the chicken so everything gets evenly flavored.
This dish packs a mild spice, so amp it up with more jalapeno or some cayenne pepper in that spice mix.
Cover the slow cooker and let it do it’s magic, carefully turning the chicken over halfway through. I typically don’t like to let chicken go in the crockpot for 8 hours, I think it gets dried out. I prefer low temp for 6 or high temp for 3.
When the chicken is fully cooked and tender, it’s time to dress it up! Sprinkle on some cheese and let it melt for 5-10 minutes.
Then serve it any which way you choose! My favorite is taco salad style but my family loves it over rice.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- 3 medium chicken breasts
- 15 oz corn 1 can, drained (see note)
- 15 oz black beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz diced tomatoes 1 can, NOT drained
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small jalapeno minced (or substitute 1 4-oz can of diced green chilies)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder see note
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 1 cup colby jack cheese shredded, see note
- In a large slow cooker, combine corn, beans, tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno.
- Nestle chicken breasts into the vegetables and add bullion cube.
- Mix seasonings together (see note) and sprinkle over the top of everything in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours.
- If possible, turn chicken breasts and give everything a light mix halfway through cooking.
- After the cooking time is up, top chicken breasts with cheese and cover for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish as desired and serve over rice, over lettuce as a salad, or any other way else you choose!
Can weights will vary, close to 15 ounces is fine. It's just the normal can size.
All of the spices can be substituted our for 1 packet of taco seasoning.
Cheddar or montery jack or a combination of both can be used instead of colby jack.
FTC Disclosure of Material Connection: The way we provide you with awesome free content is through affiliate links and some of the links in the post above may be affiliate links. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we use personally and/or believe will add value to readers. Read more here.
Cooking Basics eBook!
Subscribe to get FREE cooking tips, recipes, and the latest posts in your email.