This meatball sub recipe is so easy and can be made in the slow cooker. It’s a family favorite and easy to make for a crowd!
Are you all ready for a super easy dinner?! I know you love ’em. This one is a slow cooker meal, but totally check out the recipe card for alternate instructions. I also use my homemade Italian meatball recipe in this! You can too. I batch-make the meatballs and freeze them, so they are super easy to throw in this dish. If that’s not your jam, use your favorite brand of meatballs. Easy!
The majority of the flavor in this recipe is going to come from the peppers and onions, so make sure you use the total amount! I love stacking them on the sandwich as well, but if you don’t want to eat them… my husband can relate to you. Ha!
That is truly how easy this is, slice up the veggies, add the seasonings and then throw in the tomato sauce!
I like to mix everything a little bit before I add the meatballs, usually, they are frozen but if yours aren’t, you don’t want to mix them too roughly because they will break.
The meatballs will be cooked in about 1 hour on low, but I like to cook this for 4 hours on low until everything is nice and soft. If you’re doing this on the stovetop, just simmer until everything is soft and tender.
These are seriously the best meatball subs! I like to just buy a baguette and tear out some of the bread in the middle a little bit so there is room for the meatballs. You can use hoagie rolls, or even make them sliders! So versatile and so easy. Your family will love them!
Meatball Sub Recipe
- 12 meatballs see note
- 4 sweet peppers any variety or color, sliced
- 2 onions sliced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (large can)
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons basil dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh
- 6 hoagie rolls or use a baguette and slice it in pieces
- mozzarella cheese
- In a slow cooker, combine peppers, onions, spices, basil, and oregano with crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add the meatballs, making sure they are all covered in sauce.
- Cook on low for at least 2 hours, up to 6. You can also do this on the stovetop, simmer on low for about 1 hour, or until the meatballs, peppers, and onions are tender.
- Serve meatballs, peppers, and onions on hoagie rolls or a baguette that has been cut into portions. Top with cheese!