This breakfast hash recipe is a perfect way to use up leftovers in your fridge. It couldn’t be easier to make and is all done on the stovetop.
Recipes like this breakfast skillet are one of my favorite ways to make sure I clean out the fridge! You can really put just about anything you want in this and it will turn out great.
I like to have a good mix of vegetables and proteins to keep it well rounded, but obviously, you could keep it vegetarian or make it a meat lovers version.
Ingredient Suggestions for Breakfast Skillet
- smoked sausage
- breakfast sausage
The biggest error to watch out for when making this breakfast hash recipe is burning. You want to cook the things that will take the longest, first – except the hashbrowns.
The hashbrowns will need to cook for the longest amount of time but if you cook everything else beforehand, add the hash browns and let them sit in the pan without stirring, you get everything at the perfect consistency.
The hashbrowns kind of insulate all the other ingredients and can withstand not being constantly stirred in the pan while the eggs are cooking. This entire breakfast skillet recipe is done on the stovetop, no oven step required!
Breakfast Hash Recipe
- In a large non-stick or cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add breakfast sausage, onions, and peppers. Cook until the sausage is almost done.
- Add zucchini, parsley, and kale, stir.
- Add hashbrowns, cheese, salts, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Let hashbrowns cook without turning for 3 minutes.
- Stir and create a small well for each egg.
- Pour a cracked egg into each well. Season each egg with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover and let cook until eggs whites are white through and yolk is your desired doneness.