This blueberry french toast bake is a delicious breakfast dish that comes together easily and wonderfully.
With cooked blueberries, soft and spiced french toast with a golden crisp top, this french toast bake is one you’ll want to enjoy over and over again.
Make this blueberry french toast casserole with your favorite loaf of french bread or sliced texas toast. The french bread will give a harder crust, but both turn out so wonderful thanks to the thick slices that hold up to the moisture.
Adding the blueberries on top of the breakfast bake is totally optional, but also highly recommended. The sweet, tart, bursting with flavor blueberries really help to complement the spiced french toast as well as adding in some beautiful color to every plate.
If you aren’t a fan of blueberries, you can simply switch them out for other seasonal berries like strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, or even omit them altogether.
I love making this french toast bake with texas toast because it’s such a simple and easy breakfast meal to prep and put on the table on those busy (or tired) mornings.
Just whisking eggs and a few other things together and pouring it into a pan filled with bread before shoving it in the oven for just under an hour and you’re done. Easy mornings are always the best kind.
What you need for this french toast bake
- Bread: French bread or Texas toast are recommended because they can hold up to the liquid and moisture without becoming overly soggy as regular sandwich bread would. Other thick sliced hard bread may also work, but you’ll have to trial that for yourself.
- Eggs: We need 12 large eggs to have enough for this large breakfast bake.
- Milk: Using milk we can thin down the eggs so that the mixture coats the bread well.
- Spices: We want to use a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt to give us the perfect balance of spices and flavor enhancement.
- Sugar: We only need 2 tablespoons of brown sugar but it’s enough to add in sweetness and caramelization while the french toast bakes in the oven.
- Butter: We use the butter to grease the pan and it works nicely while adding its own flavorful richness into the dish. Yum!
- Blueberries: As I said, you can swap these out or omit them, but berries really do help to make this dish wonderful.
How to make blueberry french toast bake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- If necessary, slice your bread into nice thick slices, not bigger than an inch wide.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Take your 9×13 baking dish and grease the bottoms and sides with your softened butter (just like you’d do for Rice Krispies treats).
- Layer the bread inside of the greased dish so that the slices are overlapping and it fills in the whole pan.
- Pour your egg mixture over the top of the bread slowly. Be careful as pouring too fast may cause it to try and run out of the dish and onto the counter. If needed, pause momentarily to allow the liquid to soak into the bread before continuing.
- Sprinkle the top with blueberries if desired.
- Bake covered in the oven for 25 minutes. Uncover the dish and then bake again for about another 20 minutes until the center registers 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer and the top is a nice golden brown color.
- Store leftover breakfast bake in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days and reheat before eating.
Baked French Toast
- 1 loaf french bread or texas toast
- 12 eggs large
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup blueberries see note
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Slice bread, if necessary.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and brown sugar.
- Spread butter evenly in a 9×13 baking dish, or similar.
- Layer bread so that it is overlapping and fills the whole dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread slowly, you might have to wait periodically to let it soak into the bread.
- Sprinkle with blueberries, if desired.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake until the center registers 165ºF on an instant read thermomeber and the top is golden brown, about 20 more minutes.
Looking for more great posts?
- Frozen Peas
- Best Prime Rib Recipe in the World
- Dutch Oven Potatoes
- Baked BBQ Chicken Tenders
- Gel Stain Garage Door
- Chick Fil A Lemonade Recipe
- Frozen Green Beans
- Butter Syrup
- Dutch Oven Blueberry Cobbler
- Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler
- Homemade Hard Candy
- Ham Steak
- What is Brine?
- PVC Chicken Feeder
- How to Trim Asparagus
- Blackberry Syrup
- Asian Pork Chops
Great breakfast recipe!