This cube steak recipe is the perfect way to elevate your weeknight dinner game. It’s easy, delicious, and smothered in a rich onion gravy! Once you know how to cook cube steak, it’ll be your new go-to comfort food. Serve it with mashed potatoes, rice, or your favorite vegetables for an oh-so-satisfying meal!
Cubed steak is a pre-tenderized cut of beef that’s great for quick and easy meals. It’s also budget-friendly, making it a popular alternative to more expensive cuts of meat! But don’t let its affordability fool you; cube steak packs a lot of flavor when cooked correctly.
My cube steak recipe is lightly dredged in flour and pan-fried until golden brown and crispy. Then, it’s topped with a savory onion gravy – offering the perfect balance of sweet and tangy.
The best part? I use simple and easy-to-find ingredients you likely already have in your pantry!
What is Cubed Steak?
Also known as minute steak or cube steak, cubed steak is a cut of beef that has been pounded with a meat tenderizer or run through a mechanical tenderizer. This process creates small indentations on the surface, giving it its signature “cubed” appearance.
Cubed steak can sometimes be mistaken for ground beef at the grocery store due to its similar texture and appearance. However, it’s actually a whole cut of meat that has just been tenderized!
Cube steak is typically made from top round or top sirloin beef cuts, making it lean and flavorful. As the tough meat fibers have been broken down during the tenderizing process, it cooks quickly and is ideal for busy weeknights.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Cube Steak Recipe
- Quick and easy. This recipe takes less than 30 minutes, making it ideal for when you need a delicious meal in a pinch. I’m sure this easy dinner recipe will be a new family favorite!
- Super versatile. When you know how to cook cube steak, there’s no limit to how you can serve it. Cube steak is a versatile ingredient for many dishes, from topping it with gravy to slicing it up for sandwiches or salads.
- An affordable option. Beef steak is often seen as a luxurious and expensive cut of meat. But with this cube steak recipe, you can enjoy a delicious and tender beef dish without breaking the bank!
Pan-Fried Cube Steak Recipe Ingredients
For the Cubed Steak
- Cube steak
- All-purpose flour
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
For the Onion Gravy
- Packet gravy mix
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Cook Cube Steak
- Dry your cube steaks off with a paper towel.
- Combine flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika on a pie plate.
- In a separate pie plate, whisk together the milk and eggs.
- On medium-high heat, warm up enough oil (1/4 cup canola) in a large skillet until shimmering.
- Dredge each cube steak first in the flour, then in the egg mixture, and then again in the flour. Shake off any excess flour between dredge steps.
- Repeat this process with each steak.
- Fry your cube steak in the hot oil for 4-6 minutes per side until the internal temperature registers 165ºF. For the best results, do not crowd the cast iron skillet – you may have to work in batches.
- Place the cooked cube steaks on a paper towel-lined plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- If making the onion gravy, melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add the sliced onions and cook until soft and translucent.
- Make the gravy per the package directions in the same pan with the onions.
- Let simmer with the onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the onion gravy over the cube steak.
What to Serve with Cube Steak
Serve your tender cube steak with steakhouse mashed potatoes and green beans for a classic comfort food dish. Alternatively, enjoy it with egg noodles or rice for a hearty meal! You can even slice up the cube steak and use it in a sandwich, wrap, or side salad.
Or why not use this round steak as a fun burger alternative? After all, it’s already tenderized and packed with flavor!
There’s no limit to what you can serve with this versatile beef dish. But if you need more inspiration, check out my complete list of the best steak sides!
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container or plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place the cube steak in a pan over medium heat until the internal temperature reads 165°F.
Cube steak is an excellent option for an affordable and delicious cut of beef. While it may not be the same as a sirloin or ribeye steak, it still packs a lot of good flavor when cooked correctly. And as it’s been pre-tenderized, it’s ideal for a quick and easy meal!
Cooking cube steak on high heat for too long can cause it to become tough and chewy. To avoid this, make sure you cook the steak at medium heat until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
So long as you follow my simple recipe for cube steak, you shouldn’t have any issues with toughness!
Pan Fried Cube Steak
- 1.5 pounds cube steaks
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 packet gravy mix
- Dry cube steaks off with a paper towel.
- In a pie plate, combine the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, sat, pepper, and paprika.
- In a seperate pie plate, whisk together the milk and eggs.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat up 1/4 cup canola oil until shimmering.
- Dredge each cube steak first in the flour, then in the egg mixture, and then again in the flour. Shake off any excess between dredge steps.
- Repeat with each steak.
- Fry in the oil for 4-6 minutes per side, until the internal temperature registers 165ºF. Do not crowd the pan, you may have to work in batches.
- Place on a paper towel once cooked.
- If making the onion gravy, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the sliced onions.
- Cook until soft and translucent.
- Make the gravy according to the package directions in the same pan with the onions.
- Let simmer with the onions 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over the cube steak.