Making Instant Pot beets is an easy no hassle way of preparing this simple veggie. With just a few simple and basic ingredients you can have flavorful beets for eating.
Beets are a great vegetable but can often be tricky to prepare. With the weird bulb shapes and hard root texture, everything from peeling to cooking can feel like a challenge for those without a ton of experience. Thankfully- Instant Pots exist for moments like this!
One of the best parts about this Instant Pot beet root recipe is that you don’t even need to peel the beets beforehand! While you still have to wash them and cut off the end bits.
The amount of work you save yourself with this preparation method is enough to make you come back to this recipe every time those beets get in your grocery cart.
What do cooked beets taste like?
If you’ve ever eaten a cooked carrot, you’ve experienced a similar taste experience.
With the naturally sweet, slightly hard but tender chew and a little hint of mineral flavor, beets and carrots taste pretty similar.
This is great because it means that they have practically unlimited flavoring options when it comes to adding seasonings and turning them into an actual dish.
Serve them sweetened, savory, mashed, or boiled- or try them every way you can think of and find a favorite.
How to cook beets in an Instant Pot
- Wash and trim off the top and bottom ends of each of the beets.
- Place the trivet inside of your Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of the insert.
- Place your prepared beets on the top of the trivet.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and then set the vent to the sealing position.
- Turn it on to manual high pressure for 25 minutes.
- Once the time has elapsed, do a quick-release of the vent. The beets should feel fork-tender when you’re done.
- Remove your beets and then use a paper towel or gloved hand to remove the skin off of the beets. It should peel off easily, but be careful not to dye your hands purple.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to saute mode. Set the timer for 10 minutes or higher so it won’t turn off while you’re using it. (We don’t need this much time but it’s better safe than sorry).
- Chop your cooked, skinless beets into 1-inch cube sized pieces.
- Add your olive oil to the Instant Pot and then add the beets, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar.
- Stir and cook until they are lightly caramelized (about 5 minutes).
Are beets good for you?
Beets are a great source of fiber and are naturally low in cholesterol and saturated fats.
They have potassium, Vitamin C, and iron, making them a pretty good addition to your diets every now and then.
What to serve with cooked beets
This recipe goes great as a side dish for practically any meal. Served alongside a cooked meat dish like Oven Roasted Chicken or Grilled Lamb Chops and you have yourself a wonderful meal!
They’d also make a great addition to the Thanksgiving table too. 😉
Instant Pot Beets
- 2 pounds beets washed, not peeled
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves fresh
- Trim the tops and bottoms off the beets.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker insert.
- Pour the cup of water into the bottom of the insert.
- Place the beets on top of the trivet.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and place the vent in the "sealing" position.
- Turn the pressure cooker on Manual High Pressure for 25 minutes.
- When the 25 minutes are up, quick-release the vent. The beets should be fork tender.
- Remove the beets from the instant pot. Using a towel, paper towel, or gloved hands, gently rub the skin off of the beets. It should come right off.
- Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode. You'll have to set a time, so just set it to 10 minutes or higher so it doens't turn off before you're ready.
- Chop the beets into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot. Add the beets, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar.
- Stir and cook until slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
Looking for more delicious recipes and great posts?
- Canned Corn
- Canned Green Beans
- Hard Candy Recipe
- Frozen Peas
- Frozen Green Bean Recipes
- Best Prime Rib Recipe in the World
- Caramel Apple Slices
- Mexican Pork Chops
- Baked BBQ Chicken Tenders
- Where Does Beef Come From
- Gel Stain Garage Doors
- Dutch Oven Potatoes
- Beef Stroganoff From Scratch
- Dutch Oven Blueberry Cobbler
- No Bake Cheesecake without Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Buffalo Ranch Dressing
- Cattle Panel Chicken Tractor
Awesome, quick way to make beets!