You’re going to love this chocolate peanut butter cake. It’s a wonderful combination of flavors in every fluffy and delicious slice and we can’t stop raving about it around here, and soon, you’ll see why.
Made from scratch with just a few basic ingredients, we end up with a rich and indulgent cake that’s worthy of any occasion. The cake is soft, fluffy, moist, and so flavorful that you can’t help but to want another slice. So put the kids to bed early and slice another piece off for yourself as you kick up your feet. You earned it.
Chocolate and peanut butter are a flavor-packed combination that has been winning team challenges together for years and years. Nothing beats the sweet and rich chocolate mixed with savory creamy peanut butter, except for cake. There’s always room for cake and in this chocolate and peanut butter cake, we are always winning.
What Is Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake?
This cake is an egg-free and dairy-free recipe made just like those wacky depression-era cakes you may have heard of. It is made simply by mixing a few ingredients together. Trusting vinegar and baking soda to be the leavening agents, and cooking oil for the fats instead of butter, we get fluffy and moist results without too much of a hassle.
This cake is easy for novice bakers and even kids to help us with because it’s so simple and easy to make. All you need to do is measure out some ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until smooth. There’s no creaming, beating, or mile-long list of steps, making this cake not only easy to prepare but fast too! Pull out this recipe anytime you have last-minute guests you want to impress. They’ll think you planned it all day long. 😉
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
- Olive oil
- Vanilla extract
- Peanut butter
For the exact measurements please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. If you do not have a sifter a whisk can be used instead.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in the olive oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water.
- Whisk together until combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Dot the surface with some peanut butter and then swirl the peanut butter into the batter. A butter knife or toothpick can do this pretty well.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
Vinegar. You can use white vinegar, red balsamic vinegar, or apple cider vinegar depending on what you have on hand. That said, red vinegar or cider vinegar will help to enhance the flavors of the chocolate within the cake.
Olive oil. While other oils can be used in place of the olive oil (like canola or vegetable oil) please keep in mind that the flavor and texture may differ because not every oil will give the same tasting results.
What to serve with fudgy chocolate peanut butter cake. This cake would go great served with a tall glass of cold milk, a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream, or peanut butter buttercream frosting over the top of the cake.
This recipe is vegan as-written because it contains no butter, milk, or eggs.
Cover the pan of cake with plastic wrap or foil once cooled and keep stored in the fridge or at room temperature for up to a week. If you add frosting to the cake make sure to keep it stored in the fridge to help to prevent the frosting from spoiling. If you plan on leaving the cake as-is then it’s fine to hold at room temperature for the 5-7 days shelf life that it has.
This cake freezes very well for up to 3 months if kept well covered in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap. If wrapping in plastic, make sure to wrap it well with at least 2 layers. This will help to prevent freezer burn from happening to the cake. Freezer burn is something that will cause the cake to lose flavor and texture making the thawed cake results not as wonderful as you’d like.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add the olive oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water.
- Whisk until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Dot the surface with the peanut butter. Swirl in the peanut butter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Looking for more great recipes and ideas?
- What is Brine
- How to Cut an Onion
- Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- How to Make Candy
- How to Make Nachos with Ground Beef
- St. Louis Ribs Crock Pot
- Herb Bread
- PVC Pipe Chicken Feeder
- Pecan Crescent Cookies
- Green Bean Seasoning
- Butterbeer Ingredients
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- How Do I Make Hummingbird Food
- How to Tell if Steak is Done
- Baked Barbeque Chicken Thighs
- Beef Stroganoff from Scratch
- How to Trim Asparagus
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- How Long to Smoke Beef Ribs