Chewy oatmeal cookies are simple to make with the perfect balance of oats. Crispy on the outside while chewy and soft on the inside. So good!
This recipe is a family classic that we all love! It’s a totally classic homemade oatmeal cookie recipe. I often switch it up but wanted to keep this version classic for you since it’s such a perfect base for so many great creations.
This recipe is based on my grandmother’s oatmeal cookie recipe and I have so many sweet memories of making these with her. I learned to bake in her kitchen with her pretty blue and white bowls and ancient hand mixer.
We would fill her bird feeders and water her rose plants while they baked and then enjoy them together on the porch while reading approximately 1.5 million Amelia Bedelia books.
This recipe is full of so many great memories! And I promise, they really are the best oatmeal cookies even if you don’t have all the memories attached to them. Make them with your family and create your own sweet memories!
To make these truly chewy oatmeal cookies, you need to get the dough consistency correct. This is pretty easy to do, you just have to pay attention to the consistency of the dough. It should be slightly sticky, not overly wet.
The dough should come out of the scoop fairly easily with minimal sticking. If the dough is dry and crumbly, you can add a bit more water to soften it to the right texture.
When baking, it’s important to remember that the amount of flour you use in a recipe will vary depending on the altitude and even the weather. If you want more details about baking, check out this post!
I hope you and your family love this easy oatmeal cookie recipe as much as we do. Bake them with friends, family, kids, grandkids and make some great memories together! Cookies are always better when shared.
Looking for more delicious cookie recipes??
- The Best Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
- Browned Butter Snickerdoodles
- Snickerdoodle Bars
- Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft Almond Sugar Cookies
- Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Homemade Brownie Cookies
- Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- Molasses Ginger Cookies
- Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- The Best Pumpkin Cookie Recipe
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Homemade Oatmeal Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour see note
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups oats
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Thoroughly combine butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth.
- Add egg, vanilla, and water and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Add in the oats. Mix until just combined. The dough should be slightly sticky but not too wet.
- Bake on a lined or greased cookie sheet for about 10 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is still gooey.