Molasses ginger cookies are deliciously chewy and packed with holiday-spice flavor. Making homemade Christmas cookies has never been easier – or more tasty!
Molasses ginger cookies are one of my all-time favorites during the holiday season. I LOVE the flavor and chew these cookies have. There is a surprise ingredient, but stick with me and add it – I promise it will deliver on the holiday-spice flavor packed into these cookies.
See that little hint of black over in the bottom right corner of the photo above? Yes. That is black pepper.
DON’T ASK QUESTIONS. JUST DO IT.
Glad we had this talk.
I have an unspecific “brown sugar” listed in the ingredients. Truly, it is great with both light or dark brown sugar. BUT. If you have dark brown sugar, use it! It adds just a bit more depth to the cookies.
And, of course, the star of the show: Molasses. Responsible for that beautiful color and flavor of these amazing molasses ginger cookies.
The molasses ginger cookie dough will be wet, but not sticky. See how it’s not stuck to the back of the spatula there? I mean, except that one little rouge piece. But you know what I’m trying to say.
Rolling the molasses ginger cookies gives them that beautiful crust and slight crunch on the outside. Which pairs just beautifully with the chewy middle.
I made this batch of molasses ginger cookies to deliver for friends but held a few back for the family. We will probably need another batch before Christmas. They are just that good! The recipe is below this delectable image. It is one I adapted from my trusty,
rusty, dirty, 2010 America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook.
That book is my life.
Molasses Ginger Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup white sugar + 1/3 cup more for coating
- 1/3 cup brown sugar dark or light, see note
- 12 tablespoons butter 1 1/2 sticks, melted
- 1 egg large
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour and all the spices.
- Add 1/3 cup white sugar and the brown sugar, mix well.
- Pour in melted butter, molasses, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Mix until thoroughly combined and no flour streaks remain.
- Place remaining 1/3 cup white sugar in a pie dish.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough portions into your hand, roll to smooth the edges, and then roll in the sugar.
- Bake 12 cookies on a sheet for 10 minutes in a preheated oven.