Homemade buttermilk ranch dressing is easy to make and delicious for any salad or dip! Whip up a batch to save for later or eat it right away.
Buttermilk ranch dressing is a delicious and creamy topping for any green salad but did you know that you could make it at home? It’s true! With this buttermilk ranch dressing recipe, you can have a delicious salad made at home any time you want, and enjoy the satisfying flavors of your homemade dressing.
Have you ever had a craving for a green salad only to realize that you don’t have your dressing of choice in your fridge? Maybe it’s just me, but to really want to eat a specific food, only to be let down, is disappointing and a little depressing.
Thankfully buttermilk ranch can be made at home using some pretty common ingredients, so a trip to the store can be avoided.
This is especially great if it’s an awkward time of day and you don’t want to get dressed or put on shoes, or even worse, pack up the kids and take them with you to the grocery store! Yikes! I like to avoid that as much as possible.
If you’ve never had buttermilk ranch, you’re in for a treat because this easy ranch dressing recipe will have you hooked. Don’t be surprised if you can no longer enjoy store-bought ranch dressing and feel like you have to make it at home from now on!
Serving up a bowl of homemade buttermilk ranch dressing next to a plate of cut vegetables makes for a great party appetizer, and looks impressive to guests. How many people do you know making their own ranch dressing? Exactly my point.
Of course, no one said that you had to share this creamy deliciousness, you can just as easily hide it away in the fridge and keep it for your personal salads.
How to Make Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except for the milk.
- Pour in your milk a little at a time, while whisking until the consistency is nice and smooth and you reach your desired thickness. If you want your buttermilk ranch dressing to be thinner, add in a little more milk.
- Taste the dressing and adjust the salt and pepper to your preference. If you feel weird about trying it off of a spoon, grab a baby carrot and dip that in the ranch.
- Transfer your ranch dressing to a storage container and keep it inside of your fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Enjoy your homemade buttermilk ranch with fresh salads and vegetables as desired.
How long does homemade buttermilk ranch last?
If properly stored inside of your fridge you can expect your ranch dressing to last up to 4 weeks, but please use it before then for the best tasting results.
To properly store your ranch dressing you will want to keep it in an airtight or sealed container. A mason jar works great because it takes up minimal space and gives enough room for pouring or scooping out the ranch.
Is ranch dressing and ranch dip the same?
While the two can be used interchangeably, traditionally ranch dip is made without buttermilk and designed to be thicker. This helps it to grab on to your vegetables a little more than the thinned out buttermilk version.
If you’d like to use your homemade ranch dressing as a dip, consider using less buttermilk so that it is thicker and can hold up to those veggies.
Can I freeze homemade ranch?
With the long shelf life of your ranch, there really isn’t a need to freeze it, and honestly- you shouldn’t. The dairy and the mayonnaise in the dressing will not hold up well to freezing and thawing. Your dressing will separate and textures will change, making it very unappealing and unappetizing.
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley dried
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dill dried
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk amount will vary depending on desired consistency
- Whisk all ingredients together, except the milk.
- Pour in enough to make the dressing the consistency you like.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your preference.