Blueberry banana bread is a moist, sweet, and fabulous loaf that’s packed with juicy blueberries and bursting with flavor. Every bite tastes like a summer’s dream.
Banana bread is an absolute classic and when you have ripe bananas on hand you can’t help but let your mind think of that golden loaf awaiting you in your future. Pairing your sweet ripe bananas with juicy fresh blueberries is an incredible way to spruce up your loaf goals.
You can make this blueberry banana bread with sour cream or you can make this banana blueberry bread with yogurt (Greek yogurt) depending on what you have on hand. Using either one will help to make your loaf fabulously rich and moist. Say goodbye to dry banana bread because that’s practically impossible with this easy one bowl recipe!
- Butter: Using butter will give our bread the fats it needs to be nice and rich. You could use oil in its place, but the results won’t be as good.
- Sugar: We want to use some granulated sugar to make our loaf nice and sweet.
- Eggs: This is the binder in the recipe and helps to hold every slice together.
- Vanilla: An easy flavor enhancer that gives us a great base for our flavors to work off of.
- Sour cream: Using sour cream or Plain Greek Yogurt we can get that moist loaf we’re looking for. Do not use regulate yogurts as they have far too high of moisture content and will not work in this recipe.
- Bananas: We want our bananas to be nice and ripe. The riper, the sweeter the bananas are, and the easier they are to mash.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is the base of our bread batter.
- Baking soda: We need to use baking soda as our leavening agent to help the bread rise while baking.
- Salt: This is a natural flavor enhancer that helps to bring out all of the other flavors in this recipe.
- Blueberries: We want to use fresh blueberries that have been diced so that they can be scattered throughout the dough without being too large.
How to make blueberry banana bread
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and then cream them together again for another 1-2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla extract and sour cream. Mix again.
- Add in the bananas (whole) and mix until the bananas are broken into smaller pieces and combined into the batter. This should take about 30 seconds.
- Add in your dry ingredients and mix again until almost combined but a few flour streaks remain.
- Fold in the blueberries until evenly distributed.
- Pour your batter into a greased bread pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean (just a few crumbs on it).
What size bread pan should I use?
I use a 9inx5in the bread pan for this recipe and it turns out wonderfully but you can use a smaller sized pan if desired. If using mini loaf pans you’ll need 2 of them and you will also have to lower the cooking temp by 15 minutes.
If you are using an 8×4 bread pan you may need to extend the baking time, just do it in 5-minute intervals after the allotted time is over and continue to check with a toothpick until done.
Blueberry Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 2 bananas ripe
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar together for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the 2 eggs and cream together again for 1-2 more minutes until it's light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and sour cream and mix in thoroughly.
- Add the bananas whole and mix until broken up and combined in the dough. About 30 seconds.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until almost combined but there are still streaks of flour in the batter.
- Add the blueberries and gently fold them in until evenly distributed.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan (see note) and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs on it.
Looking for more great recipes and ideas?
- Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes
- Corn Side Dish Recipes
- Puff Pastry Cheese Danish
- Self Watering Window Box
- How to Make Cake Balls
- How to Make Ham Steak
- Mixed Fruit Cobbler
- Bottle Feeding Calves
- Bacon Green Beans
- Old Fashioned Apple Fritters
- Smoked Turkey Breast Recipe
- How Long Do You Cook Salmon on the Grill?
- Tart Crust
- Homemade Syrup Recipe
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Breast
- Instant Pot Marinara
- Meat Hand Pie Recipe
- Almond Sugar Cookies