Smoked prime rib is an amazing meal any time of the year! Tender, juicy, packed with smokey flavor – it’s sure to be a total hit!
Smoked prime rib is a fancy dinner dish that you don’t see on the menu every week, which means that when you do add it to the menu, it’s important that everything goes right and the smoked prime rib recipe of choice is top-notch and amazing. There’s nothing worse than looking forward to a recipe and having it fall short of your expectations!
This smoked prime rib recipe is incredible and well worth the effort. Pair the finished roast with some easy scalloped potatoes or oven-roasted asparagus, and you have yourself a high-class dinner to look forward to all week. Finish it up with my triple berry pie for dessert, and you’ll think you died and went to heaven!
How to smoke prime rib
- Remove your prime rib from the fridge and let it come to room temp for about 20 minutes. Leave the roast tied together.
- Preheat your smoker to 265 degrees.
- Spread butter over your prime rib roast, making sure to get it entirely covered.
- Rub your garlic, pepper, salt, and herbs all over the roast, pressing it hard into the butter.
- Place the prime rib roast on the smoker and roast for about 30 minutes per pound. You want the internal temperature to be about 135 degrees.
- Remove the prime rib roast from the smoker and then let it rest for a good 1520 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Remember to cut and remove the strings as you slice the prime rib and remove the bottom bones if you want to make even smaller slices. (The bones should just slide off).
How long does it take to smoke prime rib?
Because every slice or prime rib is different, I can’t give you an exact time-frame for how long to smoke prime rib other than that you want to smoke it for 30 minutes per pound. So look at the packaging on your prime rib roast and see what it’s size is, and do a few minor calculations.
You’ll know your roast is ready when the internal temperature reaches 135ºF, so check back on it often throughout the cooking process to ensure that it’s cooking nicely and giving you a better idea of how long it’s going to take to complete it’s cooking.
What cut of meat is prime rib?
A prime rib roast is cut from the back upper section of a steer and usually comprises a 7 rib bone, although you may purchase one with as few as 3 bones.
Smoked Prime Rib Recipe
- 3-4 bone prime rib roast boned and tied
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/4 cup garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons black pepper freshly cracked
- 2 teaspoons salt high quality
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme fresh, chopped
- Remove prime rib roast from refrigerator and let come to room temperature for about 20 minutes. Leave the roast tied together.
- Preheat smoker to 265º F.
- Spread butter over the entire prime rib roast.
- Rub garlic, pepper, salt, and herbs over entire roast, pressing it into the butter.
- Place prime rib roast on the smoker.
- Roast for about 30 minutes per pound until the internal temperature reaches about 135ºF.
- Remove the prime rib roast from the smoker and let it rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Cut and remove the strings and slice the prime rib, or remove the bottom bones (they will just slide off) if you want to serve thinner slices.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- The Best Prime Rib Recipe
- Green Bean Recipe
- Marinara Sauce
- Enchilada Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Potato Soup Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Snickerdoodle Cookies Recipe
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- How to Make Meatloaf
- Easy Chili Recipe
- Cheap Dinner Ideas
- Granola Recipe
- Homemade Bread