Savory breakfast casserole is the perfect start to any day! Prep it ahead of time for an even easier morning.
This savory breakfast casserole is deliciously easy, filling, and pretty healthy too. Packed with fresh vegetables, cheese, eggs, and meat you pretty much have most of the food pyramid sections crossed off.
Serve it alongside some toast or hashbrowns and I think you might have them all, or close to it.
This easy breakfast casserole with sausage is one that my family loves. I mean, I love anything with the world easy in the name but foods that are designed to make my life easier- of course, they’re at the top of my list.
Even a ham and egg casserole would be an incredible start to the day if we got to start it off simply like this.
So if you’re ready to try an easy morning this week and get yourself off to a great start so that you have more time for drinking the coffee and less time making a morning family feast, then this make ahead casserole recipe is for you.
How to make the make ahead breakfast casserole
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees.
- In a skillet, brown your ground sausage and drain any grease.
- Whisk your eggs in a bowl.
- Add all of the chopped and prepared ingredients to the eggs, including the cooked ground sausage.
- Pour all of the ingredients into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake the dish for about 40 minutes or until an internal temperature reaches 160F degrees on an instant read thermometer.
After preparing your breakfast casserole, you can keep it covered and in the fridge for up to 2 days before baking it. After that, you can keep the leftovers stored in the fridge in the same manner for up to 4 additional days.
Yes, you can freeze a covered breakfast casserole (baked or raw) for up to 3 months. Just keep in mind that it can change the texture of the eggs and make them feel rubbery or dry once reheated. Cover the bake when reheating it to help with the dryness.
The best and safest method for determining if your casserole is finished is by using a food thermometer. The breakfast casserole is finished baking when it reaches 165ºF. This is because even if you poked at the casserole with a toothpick or knife, it may not come out clean thanks to the other ingredients and cheeses in the dish making it appear wet.
Savory Breakfast Casserole
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup peppers diced, any sweet pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 1 cup ground sausage browned
- 1/3 cup green onion sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon season salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme ground
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Brown the ground sausage.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Add all the remaining ingredients including the ground sausage.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 160ºF on an instant read thermometer.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Canned Green Bean Recipes
- Perfect Beef Tenderloin
- How to Cook Ham Steak
- Hard Candy Recipe
- Homemade Syrup
- Frozen Green Bean Recipes
- Frozen Peas
- How to Make Gravy from Scratch
- How to Trim Asparagus
- Oven Roasted Turkey
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Breast
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- Smoked Beef Ribs
- Smoked Turkey Breast
- Lemon Cream Sauce for Pasta
- Prime Rib Recipe
- What is Brine?
Love breakfast bakes!