Roasted pumpkin seeds are a fall favorite and it’s not hard to see why. With all the pumpkin carving you’re bound to look up ways to use pumpkin seeds. This recipe is a super simple way to get the best spiced pumpkin seeds this season.
You don’t need much to make these wonderful roasted shelled pumpkin seeds and the effort needed is pretty minimal too. Far less effort is needed than actually carving and removing the seeds from the inside of a pumpkin. So after making those spooky jack-o-lanterns, make sure to keep the seeds for this crunchy treat!
Roasted pumpkin seed spices can vary depending on what you personally want but today we’re cooking up our batch with a mixture of cinnamon and other fall spices for a wonderfully warm flavor in every bite.
Ingredients for Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Brown sugar
For specific quantities, please see the recipe card below.
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin seeds and other ingredients together until well mixed and well coated.
- Spread the mixture of pumpkin seeds out onto the baking sheet in a nice and even layer.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Spices. If desired you can use other spices to flavor your pumpkin seeds. Some good options include sea salt, honey, and pumpkin pie spice.
Brown sugar. If you don’t have brown sugar or want to use something slightly healthier, honey or agave can work well too. You won’t need much (maybe a few tablespoons) to get enough to coat the seeds well.
Oil. You can use canola oil, vegetable oil, butter, or even coconut oil depending on what you have on hand. Keep in mind that coconut oil may give your pumpkin seeds a slight flavor change, but it is a healthier option for oils.
Storage. After these seeds have cooled completely, keep them stored in an airtight container for up to a week. I like keeping them stored in a mason jar because it’s airtight and convenient. You can also store them in the fridge for longer storage (they’ll last up to two months in there!)
Pan Roasted. Wondering how to roast pumpkin seeds in a pan? I’ve got you covered! Simply mix together the pumpkin seeds with the other ingredients as directed and then cook in a skillet over medium-high heat until the seeds become golden in color and start to make a “popping” noise. Then remove from heat and allow to cool before eating or storing.
How to Prepare Pumpkin Seeds For Roasting
- Open your pumpkin up by removing the top and then scoop out the pumpkin guts and seeds into a bowl.
- Remove the seeds from the stringy pulp and place them into a colander.
- Rinse the pumpkin seeds well with warm water to remove as much of the “guts” and pulp as you can.
- Lay the washed pumpkin seeds down onto a paper towel lined baking sheet in an even layer and dab dry with additional paper towels.
- If desired, you can leave the pumpkin seeds to dry overnight or if you feel they’re dry enough, you can go ahead and roast them now.
- Washed pumpkin seeds can also be kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days before use if you would like to focus more on your actual pumpkin before returning to the pumpkin seed roasting recipe.
Roasted pumpkin seeds are a healthy snack as they contain a lot of needed benefits and nutrients for your body.
Absolutely! Just grab a bag of plain unsalted and unseasoned pumpkin seeds from the grocery store and use them as directed. Roast them in the oven with your desired oil and seasonings just like you would fresh pumpkin seeds.
If you find that your pumpkin seeds are now chewy it can be because there was too much moisture with the seeds (pulp was attached, etc) or they weren’t baked long enough. Make sure that you bake your seeds until well toasted and that they are dry before baking.
While you can take the extra step of removing the shell if desired, this is totally optional. The shell of pumpkin seeds is safe to consume and many people choose to eat them. So you can shell before or after roasting and even if you don’t it’s totally fine. Try it both ways and see which you personally prefer.
Check out this post on How to Toast Walnuts for another festive appetizer.
How to Make Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil unflavored
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Toss the pumpkin seeds with all the remaining ingredients.
- Spread evenly on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes.
Looking for more great recipes and ideas?
- What is Brine
- How to Cut an Onion
- Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- How to Make Candy
- How to Make Nachos with Ground Beef
- St. Louis Ribs Crock Pot
- Herb Bread
- PVC Pipe Chicken Feeder
- Pecan Crescent Cookies
- Green Bean Seasoning
- Butterbeer Ingredients
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib
- How Do I Make Hummingbird Food
- How to Tell if Steak is Done
- Baked Barbeque Chicken Thighs
- Beef Stroganoff from Scratch
- How to Trim Asparagus
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- How Long to Smoke Beef Ribs