Making chicken noodle soup from scratch is so delicious. Learn how to make amazing flavorful broth and perfect egg noodles! Try it today.
Growing up, every Wednesday was soup day. My mom loved making homemade soups, and chicken noodle soup was one of her specialties. I learned all my soup skills from her! 🙂 Making chicken noodle soup from scratch can seem hard but after you do it once, you realize how easy it is. And homemade chicken noodle soup totally beats ANYTHING you can buy. Cross my heart!
The first thing you’ll want to do when making chicken noodle soup from scratch makes the noodles! They need time to dry and making them first gives them the opportunity to dry out enough.
The way to get the most flavor into chicken noodle soup from scratch is by using chicken pieces with the bone in and skin on. I know that most people don’t like to cook with those but they add such a great flavor to the soup! Don’t skip it.
Often, chicken thighs and drumsticks are on sale at my local grocery store and this soup is the perfect way to use the inexpensive meat!
I usually make chicken noodle soup after I’ve already made homemade chicken broth but I totally understand that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. This recipe for chicken noodle soup from scratch makes it way easier and just as delicious!!
After you have boiled everything until it is tender, you’ll need to remove the meat from the bones. This is most easily done by taking the skin off with two forks and then using the forks to remove the meat. I like to let the meat cool for about 10 minutes before shredding the meat.
After the meat is back in the pot and it’s boiling again, add the noodles! They will puff up and float to the top when they are done, it usually takes about 5 minutes. They shouldn’t taste doughy.
Looking for more great recipes?
- Green Bean Recipe
- Prime Rib Recipe
- Enchilada Recipe
- Marinara Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Homemade Biscuits
- Pasta Primavera
- Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Pork Chop Marinade
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Homemade Brownies
- Easy Chili Recipe
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Homemade Bread
- Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- Poppy Seed Chicken
- Homemade Lasagna
- Tuscan Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Best Baked Potato
Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch
For the Noodles
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour approximate, enough to make a soft dough.
For the Soup
- 6 cups water
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 chicken breasts bone in, skin on. See notes for substitutions.
- 2 chicken bullion cube
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme or 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Noodles
- Combine all the noodle ingredients, adding the flour gradually until a soft dough forms.
- Roll or press out to desired thickness, I like the dough to be about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut about 1/4 inch thick with a pizza cutter.
- Separate them slightly and allow them to dry while you prepare the soup.
For the Soup
- Place chicken, vegetables, herbs, and bullion cube into the water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender and the vegetables are tender.
- Carefully remove chicken from the pot and pick it from the bones. Once finished, make sure all the pieces are bit sized (run your knife through them if they aren't) and add them back to the soup.
- Bring back to a boil and add the homemade noodles.
- Simmer until the noodles are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Reminds me of my mom 🙂