Cheesy ham and potato soup is delicious, warm, comforting, and full of flavor. It’s easy to make in the slow cooker!
There’s no doubt that a warm bowl of soup can fill your stomachs and warm you up on a cold day but what better soup to enjoy than a cheesy ham and potato soup?
With chunks of cooked ham, cubed potatoes, and cheddar cheese in every bite, this soup will have you swooning in no time. The flavors alone are fantastic but add in the fact that this is a simple crockpot recipe and you’ll fall head over heels for your next bowl.
Little effort and big flavors are common traits of this crockpot ham and potato soup. Like with any crockpot recipe you get to slow cook the main ingredients for hours on low (or fewer hours on high). This gives the flavors a chance to really concentrate together, creating a flavor so wonderful you’ll want to lick the bowl clean after.
With any luck, this cheesy ham and potato soup will really help to hit the soup and bring both comfort and warmth into your lives at dinner time. The leftovers taste just as great (if not better) so try to save a little for later.
Ingredients for cheesy ham and potato soup
- Water: This is the base of the soup and will turn into a flavorful broth as the soup mixture simmers in the crockpot all day.
- Ham: Using storebought diced ham or leftover ham from a holiday meal is a great way to reduce some effort or expenses.
- Potatoes: Using cubed potatoes will give us nice hearty sized chunks to look forward to in every spoonful.
- Carrots: Diced carrots add both color and flavor to the soup (not to mention added nutrition from a higher veggie count).
- Onion: Diced onions in soup always help to add aromatics and flavor depth.
- Salt: Working as a flavor enhancer is a little bit of salt.
- Black pepper: Adding in this simple seasoning is another way to add in a nice flavor without getting too fancy.
- Garlic: We want some garlic to really help make this soup taste as fantastic as it can.
- Cream: Adding a nice richness to the broth.
How to make crockpot ham and potato soup
- In your slow cooker or crockpot, combine the water, ham, potato chunks, carrots, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cook over low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker to the warm mode and then add in the cream and cheddar cheese, stirring until combined.
- Let the mixture warm through so that the cheese melts completely.
- Serve warm.
Ham potato soup recipe FAQs
If you plan on freezing this soup for later, I recommend not adding the cream and cheese to the portion that you will be freezing. This will keep it perfect the next time you reheat it. Add cream and cheese to the recipe when you go to reheat it and use less of each in the recipe when you eat the non-frozen portion the first time.
Serve this soup up with simple side dishes like bread rolls, sliced french bread, or a simple green side salad. Of course, the soup goes with anything and doesn’t need many side dishes (if any at all) to make it feel complete.
You can keep this soup stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To eat, simply reheat in a bowl in the microwave or in a pot on the stove until it’s been heated through.
Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup ham diced
- 2 cups potatoes cubed
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Combine water, ham, potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in the slow cooker or crockpot.
- Cook for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high.
- Turn slow cooker on warm mode and add the cream and cheddar cheese. Stir until combined and let warm through.
Looking for more great posts?
- Frozen Peas
- Best Prime Rib Recipe in the World
- Dutch Oven Potatoes
- Baked BBQ Chicken Tenders
- Gel Stain Garage Door
- Chick Fil A Lemonade Recipe
- Frozen Green Beans
- Butter Syrup
- Dutch Oven Blueberry Cobbler
- Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler
- Homemade Hard Candy
- Ham Steak
- What is Brine?
- PVC Chicken Feeder
- How to Trim Asparagus
- Blackberry Syrup
- Asian Pork Chops