Buffalo chicken salad is a delicious meal that’s healthy and filling! With a homemade buffalo ranch dressing, this recipe is amazingly tasty!
Take your plain and boring green salads and convert them into a flavorful dish that anyone can enjoy! Make a buffalo chicken salad and enjoy all of the heat, chicken, and crisp cool lettuce in every bite. You’re going to love this buffalo chicken salad recipe!
Buffalo chicken is a term used to describe a spicy mixture applied to chicken. Traditionally this buffalo sauce is made using a mixture of butter and cayenne hot sauce and the levels of heat can range from mild to super spicy.
This salad recipe has you using your own preferred hot sauce so that you can enjoy your salad without hurting yourself.
Mixing together a creamy dressing using sour cream, mayonnaise, seasonings, and milk this dressing is pretty similar to making your own ranch, but with hot sauce added in.
Enjoy a spicy and flavorful dressing that brings the entire salad together because, without it, you’d just have a bowl of plain chicken salad.
Using salad ingredients and already cooked chicken helps you to pull this delicious buffalo chicken salad together in minutes. Use chopped chicken or pull some shredded chicken from a leftover rotisserie bird if that makes life easier.
You can also opt for buying a bag of already cooked and chopped chicken from your grocery store’s meat department.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Salad
- To make the salad dressing, mix together all of the ingredients except for the milk inside of a small bowl.
- Slowly add in the milk while whisking, until you get a smooth consistency that you like. If you want your dressing thinner, add in more milk, or add less if you want it to be thicker.
- Taste your dressing and adjust the salt and pepper to your preference.
- Transfer leftover buffalo dressing to a storage container and keep it stored inside of the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
- To make the salad portion, take all of the salad ingredients and gently toss them together.
- Take as much of the salad as you want to eat and place it onto your plate or bowl.
- Add the chicken and then top with as much of the dressing as you would like.
What goes in buffalo chicken salad?
This buffalo chicken salad recipe suggests adding in chicken, salad greens, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, and cheddar cheese but you can add in anything that you would like. If you find yourself wanting a different cheese (or none at all, you can switch up the ingredients to fit your mood).
Is buffalo chicken salad healthy?
While it may not be the healthiest salad option out there, buffalo chicken salad does still contain a lot of healthy nutrients that your body needs and is a preferred meal option compared to a lot of other unhealthy options you could have chosen.
You can make your buffalo chicken salad even healthier by choosing to build it with nutrition in mind. Selecting the healthier greens such as spinach and adding in other chopped vegetables is a great way to make your dish better for you.
You can even adjust the dressing by choosing low-fat or healthier varieties of the requested ingredients.
Can you make buffalo chicken salad in advance?
You can mix together the green salad ingredients (minus the chicken) in advance and keep it stored in a container like a gallon size bag or covered bowl until you’re ready to eat it.
You can also make the dressing in advance and keep it in the fridge in a storage container until you’re ready to use it.
Then when you are ready to eat your salad, you can combine the mixed greens, dressing, and chicken and enjoy. Mixing everything together any sooner than that will result in soggy or wilting lettuce which is slimy and as gross to eat as it is to look at.
Buffalo Chicken Salad
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley dried
- 1/2 teaspoon basil dried
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoon hot sauce see note
For the Salad
- 2 cups chicken cooked, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups mixed greens see note
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese diced
For the Salad Dressing
- Whisk all ingredients together, except the milk.
- Pour in enough milk to make the dressing the consistency you like, you may need more or less than the listed amount.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your preference.
For the Salad
- Toss all salad ingredients together.
- Toss with salad dressing, as much as desired.
Looking for other great recipes?
- Prime Rib Recipes
- Over Easy Eggs
- How to Make Gravy
- Pork Chop Marinade
- Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- Homemade Bread
- Chicken and Noodles
- Smoked Turkey Breast
- Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Corn Recipes
- How to Make White Rice
- BBQ Chicken in the Oven
- Steak Salad
- Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- Homemade Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs