This mulled cider recipe is the perfect addition to any Fall meal! It’s easy to make in the slow cooker and make the house smell amazing!!
I am so excited to share this mulled cider recipe with you all! This mulled apple cider screams Fall, holidays, warmth, and coziness to me. I love that it’s made in the slow cooker because 1) it’s easy and 2) it makes your house smell amazing!!
This mulled cider is so easy it will literally take you 5 minutes to throw together. The only thing you need to make sure you have ahead of time are the mulled cider spices. Remember, you can totally customize these to your tastes!
Mulled Cider Spices
- Cinnamon – whole sticks
- Cloves – whole cloves
- Allspice – whole or ground
- Orange – sliced thin
- Rosemary – fresh sprigs
- Ginger – fresh or ground
Whole spices are best for mulled apple cider, just because you want to be able to strain as much of them out of the cider before serving so the drink is nice and smooth. Using a couple of the spices ground is fine, just make sure you use as many whole spices as possible so it’s not too gritty.
Another little trick to really send the mulled apple cider over the top is to purchase apple juice that has words like “fresh” or “fresh pressed” and “100% juice” on the title and is cloudy and light, not clear and dark. The flavor of these apple juices are a little more pungent and hold up to the cooking time and spices better than a traditional apple juice.
Since we are adding our own spices to this mulled cider recipe, I don’t think purchasing apple cider is necessary – a good, hearty apple juice will add all the flavor we need.
For serving, I like to hold back a cinnamon stick, orange slice, and short sprig of rosemary to place on top of each cup. That just lets your guests know what flavors to expect and gives the mulled cider a little fresh pick-me-up after slow cooking.
My favorite time of day to make this is in the morning before a party or holiday. The smell sets a festive tone for the day and is a great way to kick off a meal and warm up your guests while you get everything else on the table.
What is something you always make during the holidays??? I love learning about all of your sweet family traditions.
Mulled Cider Recipe
- 2 quarts apple juice fresh pressed, 100% juice. It should be light and cloudy, not dark and clear.
- 1 orange sliced + extra for serving
- 4 cinnamon sticks + extra for serving
- 1 teaspoon cloves whole
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice whole, use 1/4 teaspoon if using ground
- 1 sprig rosemary fresh + extra for serving
- 2 slices ginger fresh, optional, see note
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for at least 2 hours, up to 6.
- Strain or remove all large spices before serving.
- Garnish with extra rosemary sprigs, orange slices, and cinnamon sticks.