Homemade soft pretzel bites are easy to make and the perfect salty snack. Just as good as Pretzel Maker and you can enjoy them at home!
One of my favorite snacks to pick up when I’m out running errands is a giant up of soft pretzel bites from Pretzel Maker. They are seriously delicious!!
Shortly after I had my last baby, I was mega craving some soft pretzel bites. But I was not about to venture out to the Mall with a newborn and two toddlers.
So we decided to make some homemade pretzel bites! I am so glad I did! These are soft, pillowy, buttery, and so dang good you’ll never leave your house to go run errands again. Ha!
While making soft pretzel bites isn’t hard, it does require time. This recipe has two rise steps, but the second one is short because the tiny pretzel bites don’t need that long to rise.
You can omit tossing the pretzels with butter…but why would you? It gives them the perfect finish. Additionally, you can make this dough recipe into large traditionally shaped pretzels, but the cooking time will need to be adjusted longer to cook them all the way through.
How to Make Pretzel Bites
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough and knead until it’s smooth and elastic. This can be done by hand or in an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment.
- Once the dough is kneaded, let it rise in a clean and greased bowl until it has doubled in size.
- This usually takes about an hour, but the process can be sped up if the dough is placed in a warm area.
- You can also preheat your oven to 200ºF, turn it off, and set the dough inside to rise.
- After the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the dough into strips about 1 inch wide and then cut each strip into 1-inch pieces so that each pretzel bite is about 1×1 inch square.
- Place the pretzel bites onto lined trays to rise again until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Brush the risen pretzel bites with an egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Once the pretzel bites are baked and cooled slightly, toss them with melted butter so they are lightly coated.
You can get the ingredients and the full, printable recipe below in the recipe card. The servings on the recipe card are easy to adjust in case you’d like to half or double this recipe (or any other recipes on my site). I thought a full recipe would last my family a few days – no way! These soft pretzel bites were gone in a few hours.
Don’t be scared to make a yeast dough! It isn’t hard but can take practice. If you’re looking for more easy yeast bread recipes, check these ones out!
- How to Bake Bread From Scratch
- Easy Homemade Bread Recipe
- Homemade Focaccia Bread Recipe
- How to Make Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Classic Orange Rolls
- Easy Dinner Roll Recipe
- 60 Minute Homemade Herb Bread
- Herby Garlic Cheese Bread
[mv_create key=”54″ type=”diy” title=”Homemade Bread”]
Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
- Combine flour, brown sugar, yeast, and salt.
- Add softened butter, milk, and water. Combine.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- The dough should be smooth and just stick to the bottom of the bowl or only slightly cling to your fingers when you touch it. See note.
- Let the dough rise until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll it out slightly until it’s about 2 inches thick and slice it into 1 inch thick strips.
- Cut the strips into 1-inch pieces and place on a lined baking sheet. Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Combine egg and water. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until dark golden brown on top.
- Toss with melted butter.