Instant pot apple butter is perfect for fall. Sweet, packed with apple flavor, and thick enough to spread, it will be a hit!
Autumn is a great time for apples and pumpkins. Both are in season and ready for picking. We love apples around here, and one of my favorite ways to use fresh apples is by making homemade apple butter.
What is apple butter?
Apple butter is a thick applesauce-like mixture of spices and pureed cooked apples. It’s so delicious and works as a great spread for bread and biscuits (much like jam or jelly would). My Instant Pot apple butter recipe here doesn’t include any spices, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t add them to taste!
Once you know how to make apple butter, making it becomes kind of addicting. Watching a solid apple go from sliced cubes to mush in a matter of minutes is both fun and exciting. While you can make apple butter in a slow cooker, that usually takes several hours.
This Instant Pot recipe is fabulous for cutting out the wait time and giving us a perfect batch of apple butter in a fraction of the time.
For those of us that are impatient, hungry, or just trying to work through a large batch of apples quickly, this is certainly the way to go. Once you try it, you may never go back to the slow-cooked way again.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Granny smith apples
- Gala apples
- Apple juice
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Cider vinegar
How to Make Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Wash and chop your apples into 1 inch sized cubes. You don’t need to worry about peeling them, but you could if you wanted to.
- In your pressure cooker or Instant Pot, combine all of the apples and the other ingredients.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the vent to the sealed position.
- Cook on High Pressure for 7 minutes and then release the pressure.
- Remove the lid.
- Remove the apple mixture and place it in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Blend the apples until smooth and serve once cooled.
Yes, it can. Let your batch cool completely and then store it in an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to 6 months. Remove and let it thaw overnight in the fridge before use.
Like most foods without added preservatives, this too will spoil if not eaten or stored properly. This recipe has not been tested for canning. You will need to store it in the fridge and use it within about 5 days.
Yes, homemade apple butter needs to be kept in the fridge in an airtight container.
Apple butter can be used for a wide variety of things. The most common way is using it as a spread for bread and pastries.
Instant Pot Apple Butter
- 1 pound granny smith apples
- 1 pound gala apples
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chop the apples into 1-inch cubes, don't worry about peeling them.
- Combine the apples and all the remaining ingredients in the instant pot or pressure cooker.
- Put the lid on, place the vent to the "sealed" position.
- Cook on High Pressure for 7 minutes.
- Release the pressure and remove lid.
- Blend until smooth. Serve when cool.
Yum! So quick in the instant pot.