The Chicken Coop Project: Complete

The chicken coop is done! I am so excited. First, we finished demo on the part of the building we weren’t keeping. See this view?! There isn’t one thing blocking it, that’s the great part! Oh, except that pile of stuff we need to throw away. We saved all the other wood, four truck loads. Four truck loads of pure fun! Or my brother stepping on a nail. Either one. {Update: Find the tutorial for the chicken feeder and waterer here!}

DSC_0051

This is the back wall of the coop, where we mounted the nesting boxes.

DSC_0051

We made the nesting boxes out of an old cabinet I found in the main barn. We cut it down by a third because it was really long.

IMG_3145

We also added dividers and closed up the sides so it was it’s own little box.

IMG_3148

Next we mounted the box onto the back of the coop with the doors out. That way, I can just open the doors of the cabinet to get the eggs out.

DSC_0058

After it was mounted, we cut out the areas for the boxes from inside the coop. I need to frame out the boxes to make it look more even and I think I need to put a little ramp up to the higher ones. I don’t think the chickens even know they are up there.

DSC_0059

Chicken coop and run made from a couple of old stalls in an old outbuilding.

On the wall opposite the coop we built the roosts. I used this idea with a few variations. We built the base and mounted with L brackets.

IMG_3150

For the roost, we used closet rod hangers mounted to the wall with a thick piece of PVC. We screwed the PVC from underneath through the closet rod hangers so it wouldn’t spin when the chickens roost on it.

DSC_0062

The purpose for the tray is to catch the majority of the chicken poop in the coop while they are roosting. Usually the majority of the poop will end up under the roost. I filled the tray with a mixture of sand and Sweet PDZ, an oder neutralizer. So far, it is working really well! I just scoop out the poop with a cat litter scoop.

DSC_0063

We also build a feeder using this design. I like it but the tray I picked out is a little to brittle and cracks easily. *Update!* Check out the feeder and waterer tutorial here! I have the food and water on cinder blocks so the chickens don’t make a mess of it. Because they will if it is on the ground. They are kinda gross that way.

DSC_0060

The area next to the coop we made into a run. We cut a small doorway between the studs and trimmed down an old door we had to close it at night.

DSC_0064

I lined the gate with chicken wire to keep the chickens in and I still need to chicken wire the slats on the other side of the chicken run. They can also fly over the top…a problem I haven’t solved yet :).

DSC_0066

On the outside, we mounted an old door that was from the building originally. We put it on a slider track {3 parts: one, two three} so it wouldn’t open into the fence. Also, just ignore that huge slice in the side of the building. That happened last winter and will be discussed at another time….. {ahem, we are fixing it}.

DSC_0071

We also reinforced the entire building with hurricane braces. We are a little paranoid after the last half of the building blew over. There were also holes already in the building, I think they used  them to put hay through the walls. Anyways, I put chicken wire over them. I also want to frame them out to make it look a little more finished.

 

DSC_0054

We also need to have a better solution for covering up these wires and the outlet so the chickens don’t bug them. Because those cinder blocks are being super effective.

DSC_0068

Basically that is it! It took us about 4 days of working really hard. And really late. Andy is awesome and was super great about indulging my every whim with this project. I think this photo was taken at 11:00. PM. In case the dark wasn’t an indicator. We also chased chickens around for about 45 minutes three nights in a row. But they know it’s home now and just put themselves to bed these days.

IMG_3144

Also, this shelf was in the run part. I think I have a plan for it! Just ignore it’s grossness right now.

DSC_0079

FTC Disclosure of Material Connection: The way we provide you with awesome free content is through affiliate links and some of the links in the post above may be affiliate links. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we use personally and/or believe will add value to readers. Read more here.

5 Comments

  • Reply
    Farm Clean-up: Marathon Style • Longbourn Farm
    May 4, 2016 at 10:30 AM […] summer, we finally decided to turn the last remaining stalls into the chicken coop and chicken run, and  took down the rest of the falling down structure. That was also a huge relief. It was pretty […]
  • Reply
    Electric Fence Setup: Materials, cost, & review! • Longbourn Farm
    January 19, 2016 at 10:08 AM […] solar energy as well when it’s sunny outside. We have our charger mounted in what is now my chicken coop…wasn’t the original plan but that’s how it all worked out! We are still coming up […]
  • Reply
    8 Ways to Reduce the Cost of Your Hobby Farm | Longbourn Farm
    October 20, 2015 at 3:34 PM […] building that looks like it won’t be good for anything, reanalyze the situation. We ended up using part of an older barn for our chicken coop which saved us a bundle in time and money. We did take down part of the building {after the wind […]
  • Reply
    Chicken Feeder and Waterer: A Tutorial | Longbourn Farm
    September 11, 2015 at 10:56 AM […] If you are interested in The Chicken Coop Project Plan, click here. If you are interested in checking out the finished Chicken Coop Project, click here! […]
  • Reply
    windley
    August 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM This is looking really good Alli. I love how you reused stuff that you've already got at hand. Now I'm ready for an omelette
  • Leave a Reply

    106 Shares
    Pin97
    Share9
    Stumble
    Tweet