Beef Stroganoff from Scratch

Beef Stroganoff from Scratch

One of our all-time favorite family meals is beef stroganoff. I grew up eating a version of this that used cream of mushroom soup, and while that is delicious I love my Beef Stroganoff from Scratch recipe even more! It’s so easy to make and can be made from start to finish in 30 minutes.

Another one of my favorite things about my beef stroganoff from scratch recipe is that it can be a great way to use up leftover beef! I hate wasting food, but who wants a re-heated steak? Not me! That just isn’t right. In fact, re-heating steak should probably be against the law. Seriously. But slice that steak up and throw it into beef stroganoff and wal-ah! You’re a leftover genius.

Make Beef Stroganoff from Scratch, it's so easy and so delicious. It'll be the best homemade beef stroganoff recipe you ever make! So flavorful, so simple.

I have used just about every cut of beef in this recipe and it always turns out great. We love using ground beef, although it doesn’t make for the most beautiful presentation 🙂 . Keep in mind that if you buy stew beef chunks, they will work great but you’ll need to cook them longer so they aren’t tough. Nicer cuts of beef will be more tender which can be important in this dish since it is cooked quickly. If nice cuts of beef are too pricy, just use ground beef! I have found that I am usually the only one that cares about how the food looks in my family, ha!

Beef Stroganoff from Scratch

I do have a confession to make about my beef stroganoff from scratch recipe. My confession is…I really don’t like mushrooms. I promise it isn’t for a lack of trying. They always smell and look delicious. I always try them! But for whatever reason, my taste buds just reject them every time. So in reality, I leave the mushrooms out when I make this. I sacrificed and put mushrooms in it when I took these photos, ha. If you have a fancier/better type of mushroom you like to use, feel free to substitute it in this recipe! I’m most certainly not a mushroom expert.

Beef Stroganoff from Scratch

Here is the recipe for my Beef Stroganoff from Scratch! Per usual, I make mine in a cast iron skillet {linked to the one I have and love, it will last you forever!}. Let me know if you try it and what you thought! Need the perfect side dish? Check out these Easy Carmelized Carrots or The Best Homemade Bread Recipe.

Looking for more family favorite dinner ideas? Check out my round up post of our 7 Favorite Fall Family Dinner Recipes!

Beef Stroganoff from Scratch

Yields 4-5 Servings

10 minPrep Time

20 minCook Time

30 minTotal Time

Save Recipe

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 pound beef - this can be any type you choose, beef chunks of any kind or ground beef
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons ground sage
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cream
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
  2. Brown beef, remove from skillet and set aside. If there is a lot of excess grease, remove it.
  3. Add the rest of the butter.
  4. Sauté onions and mushrooms until soft and starting to turn golden, about 3-4 minutes.
  5. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  6. Add sage and flour and stir until flour is cooked a bit, about 2 minutes.
  7. Add beef broth, stirring constantly.
  8. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and the beef along with any accumulated juices.
  9. Simmer on low heat until thickened, flavors have melded, and beef is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Be sure it's not burning or sticking on the bottom by stirring occasionally.
  10. Off heat, stir in cream and sour cream until combined.
  11. Serve over egg noodles or rice.

Notes

• The beef chunks will be more tender if you use a nicer cut of meat. I have used beef stew chunks in the past, but they can be tough. Cooking them longer will help. We actually love this recipe with ground beef, just be sure to drain off the excess grease.

• I also love using leftover beef in this recipe. It's a great way to use leftover steaks, roast, or anything other leftover cut you don't want to waste. Just omit steps 1 and 2 and start by sautéing the onions.

7.5

FTC Disclosure of Material Connection: The way we provide you with awesome free content is through affiliate links and some of the links in the post above may be affiliate links. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we use personally and/or believe will add value to readers. Read more here.

27 Comments

Emily
    April 5, 2017 at 2:52 PM I have made your recipe many times, and will be making it again! I don't substitute or change anything! It is perfect! Thank you!
      Alli
      April 10, 2017 at 12:14 PM Thank you so much Emily, I'm so happy to hear that!
    Juliana
    March 4, 2017 at 9:56 AM Try using heart of palms instead of mushrooms. It's delicious in stroganoff.
      Alli
      March 4, 2017 at 10:33 AM That is a fantastic idea! I will definitely be trying that. Thank you Juliana!
    Maddy
    March 3, 2017 at 1:23 PM I am usually not one to leave comments, but I'm SO glad I found your recipe! You make it super easy to make from scratch. I'm making it for the 3rd time already!
      Alli
      March 4, 2017 at 10:32 AM Maddy, thank you for leaving a comment!! I so glad you love the recipe!!
    Meg
    February 20, 2017 at 6:50 AM Ally, we made this last night for Sunday dinner and my husband & I both loved it. We're definitely adding it to our regular meal rotation.
      Alli
      February 20, 2017 at 2:09 PM Hi Meg! I'm so glad you loved it! It's one of Andy's favorites as well. :)
    Easy & Delicious Canned Corn Recipe • Longbourn Farm
    January 17, 2017 at 10:17 AM […] ? . I think everyone can have one food they legitimately dislike. I’ve tried for years to like mushrooms, but it’s just not meant to be. […]
    Jennifer Lee
    January 16, 2017 at 3:29 PM What other cuts of beef would you recommend besides stew meat?
      Alli
      January 16, 2017 at 9:06 PM Hi Jennifer! My family actually loves ground beef best. My second choice is actually using meat from leftover steaks or roast. Is that helpful?
    Amber
    January 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM Hi, I'm thinking about making this dish tomorrow and I'm not a fan of mushrooms do you think I can use other veggies like carrots or zucchini? I will also be using ground beef and I'm wondering how the different veggies will go with that. But this looks really good and I'm happy to have found a stroganoff made from scratch.
      Alli
      January 13, 2017 at 7:56 PM Hi Amber! I'm not a fan of mushrooms either, ha! I think either zucchini or carrots would work! I've never tried it myself, but that is a great idea. If you use carrots, follow the steps for the mushrooms, just sub in carrots. If you use zucchini, I fear that it may get soggy if it cooks for too long so I'd probably just saute it, remove it from the pan, and then add it back in with the meat. Does that make sense? Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!
    Jaimie
    January 10, 2017 at 12:53 PM I'm using stew meat. Tips for how to adjust to make it more tender?
      Alli
      January 10, 2017 at 2:18 PM Hi Jaimie! If you have a pressure cooker, you can cook it in there prior to adding it (another reader recommended that) or just cook it in the recipe for a longer amount of time (try 20 minutes and see how it is), just be sure you're stirring and watching it so it doesn't get too thick or burn. If you do notice it getting too thick, splash in more beef broth.
    Karen
    December 28, 2016 at 3:34 AM Made this today and it was delicious! I will never have to buy those stroganoff recipe bases again from the store - so simple to make from scratch! Thanks :)
      Alli
      December 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM Hi Karen! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It is so easy, and so delicious :)
    Bob
    December 22, 2016 at 6:39 PM I learned this exact recipe from a Chef friend of mine. The only thing missing is a 1/4 cup of wine, either Marsala or a good red wine, not the cooking wine you see at the grocery store.
      Alli
      December 22, 2016 at 10:36 PM That would be a great addition!
    Valerie
    December 13, 2016 at 9:24 AM Thanks so much.It was delicious.My family loved it.I cooked it last week,and it's going to be our dinner again this evening
      Alli
      December 14, 2016 at 4:31 PM I'm so excited to hear that Valerie! Thanks for letting me know how it turned out :) . Happy Cooking!
    Valerie
    December 5, 2016 at 5:45 PM I'm not much of a cook. The recipe calls for cream,but I'm not sure what kind specifically.Thanks in advance
      Alli
      December 5, 2016 at 9:15 PM Hi Valerie! I use heavy cream or whipping cream in this recipe. Happy cooking! Let me know how it turns out or if you have more questions. :)
    Christine B.
    December 2, 2016 at 9:22 AM I already made it once according to the recipe, and it was a HUGE hit! The flavor a were exactly like I remember my aunt (she was a chef) making when I was younger. Would this work in a slow cooker if I add the sour cream at the very end? I would toss the beef with flour and brown it - like I do when I make my beef stew because it help thicken the sauce as it slow cooks, and then add everything else except the sour cream. What do you think?
      Alli
      December 3, 2016 at 8:05 PM I'm so glad you liked it Christine!!! Thank you for letting me know :). I think it would totally work in a slow cooker, if you use a similar method for your stew and it turns out it should be no problem at all. That would also be a good way to use a cut of meat like beef chunks and have them be tender. My only concern would be the mushrooms getting mushy depending on how long you cooked it? But as I said in the post, mushrooms aren't my thing so if you think they would hold up just add them at the beginning. If you do try it in a slow cooker let me know!! That's a great idea.
    Claudette Lanoue
    November 2, 2016 at 10:17 AM I have a pressure cooker which I always use when using stewing beef. It comes out tender every time.
      Alli
      November 3, 2016 at 11:58 AM Great idea!!! That would be perfect for this recipe.